Amazon Ad

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Gossip Girl: The Bitch is Back! (My thoughts on episode 4x06: Easy J)


It’s been a while since I’ve posted any thoughts posts on Gossip Girl, because I’ve gotten distracted by watching other shows and DVD sets that I’ve bought over the course of the past few months. I’m really going to try to be better about writing blog posts for my blog, especially for Gossip Girl since I’ve been missing the show a lot lately. Anyway, this episode really frustrated the hell out of me in so many ways.

The main thing that bugged me about this episode is Blair. I thought that it’s extremely rude and immature for Blair to think that she has the right to banish Jenny from the Upper East Side, who came back to get some things for an interview she had with Tim Gunn, and tell her when she can and can’t come back to the upper east side to visit her family. Usually, I love Blair’s schemes and bitchy behavior, but in this case Blair went too far with Jenny. I’ve also never liked Jenny, so I haven’t really minded Taylor Momsen not being in very many episodes this season, but I still think Blair took things too far when it comes to dealing with Jenny’s return and sabotaging Jenny’s interview with Tim Gunn. I have to say that Blair’s horror movie style nightmare at the beginning of the episode was brilliant.

Blair and Chuck’s war with each other continued. Part of the reason for Jenny’s return was Chuck’s doing and he also got her the interview with Tim Gunn; he did it to get back at her. I loved them in seasons 1, 2, and most of 3, but I’m absolutely over them. However, they did decide to call a truce at the end of the episode. That still doesn’t make me like them.

To get back at Blair, Jenny sent an email revealing that she lost her virginity to Chuck, not Damian like everyone thought she had to Gossip Girl, which left Blair feeling humiliated after Gossip Girl posted the news on her website. Personally, I thought that Blair deserved to be humiliated like that.

Serena discovered that Colin Forrester was the professor who was teaching a business class that she had signed up for, which was a big problem since they are romantically involved, so they had to keep their relationship a secret. Of course, Lily quickly learned about their relationship after Colin started hitting on Serena right in front of Lily, not knowing that Serena’s mother was standing right in front of them. This whole storyline is beyond stupid, because it’s yet another Serena storyline that involves her love life. I really wish the writers would do something else with Serena, because I hate all of her storylines that involve some guy. I did love it when Lily called her out on her constant bed hopping. She totally had it coming, in my opinion.

I loved Nate’s storyline because it was centered mostly around his family drama with his dad being in prison and it tied into Juliet’s mysterious vendetta against Serena. Sometimes I get really annoyed with Nate’s storylines, because like Serena’s storylines, they are frequently centered around his love life, but even then it doesn’t annoy me as much as Serena’s since his romantic storylines usually have a twist of some kind to make them interesting, such as his fling with an older woman at the beginning of season 2, or in this case, he’s dating Juliet so their relationship is constantly filled with drama due to the fact that she’s lying to him about her true motives behind her actions since she’s carrying out her vendetta against Serena. I like Nate’s storylines the best when they involve his family drama instead of storylines just about his love life. Nate’s family drama is the most interesting thing about him as a character, in my opinion.

Juliet continued her vendetta against Serena, and her plan for revenge was almost discovered when Nate found her outside the prison getting ready to go visit Ben while he was there to visit his dad. She lied and told him that she was a part of a prison literacy program. Nate told her that his dad was in prison, and Ben arranged to have Nate’s dad attacked by some inmates. Juliet once again pushed Nate away, which led him to believe that she had a problem with his father being in prison, so he got mad at her since she wasn’t able to tell him the reason for her behavior.

Juliet’s storyline had yet another twist to it. It turns out that Colin Forrester is hers’ and Ben’s cousin and her family is poor, so he’s been supporting her financially. Honestly, in retrospect I think that the whole storyline with Juliet and her vendetta against Serena was one of the best things about season 4, because it revisited Serena’s reasons for returning the Upper East Side at the start of the series. Juliet’s storyline also helped Gossip Girl recapture the vibe that the show had in season 1, which is a big part of why season 4 is my second favorite season of Gossip Girl.

All that being said, I give this episode a rating of a C-.

No comments :