Amazon Ad

Friday, July 22, 2011

Gossip Girl: War and Peace-Blair and Chuck Style (My thoughts on episode 4x07: War At the Roses)

I have to say that absolutely loved this episode for so many reasons. For starters, I loved the whole thing with Serena and Nate making Blair and Chuck formalize their truce by having a legal document be drawn up and written by a stenographer. That was hilarious. :)

The other thing that I loved about this episode is that Dan let his inner schemer side come out when he was working with Eric to break the truce between Blair and Chuck. Dan has always been my favorite of the guys on the show, mostly because unlike Serena and Nate his storylines don’t all revolve around his love life. Blair has always been my favorite of the girls on the show for similar reasons. I love that Blair’s storylines are often about her ongoing quest to elevate her social status in some way or find her real life prince charming, which has involved actually dating a prince in the past. Blair’s schemes are always a lot of fun to watch as they unfold, and her constant need to scheme against someone is definitely one of the most interesting things about Blair as a character.

One thing that bugged me about this episode is how Rufus lectured Dan about how he plotted to get revenge on Blair and Chuck. That’s always bugged me because Rufus always lectures Dan whenever he does something somewhat devious, but Lily almost never calls Serena out on her never-ending antics, which almost have something to do with her love life. To be fair though, Lily did call Serena out on her dating Colin in the previous episode, which I absolutely loved watching.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that Juliet continued to mess with Serena and made her feel insecure about her relationship with Colin since they have to wait until the semester is over before they can officially begin their romantic relationship. As I go back and watch season four again, I really wish that the producers had made Katie Cassidy a series regular.

As for Serena, she is way too easy to manipulate. After all, as soon as she saw Colin with another woman, she immediately assumed that he was cheating on her. However, Serena quickly found out that the woman she saw Colin with turned out to just be his housekeeper. In the end, Serena and Colin managed to not completely give into passion. They only kissed at the end of the episode and Serena told Colin that it was something to look forward to. I suppose that’s progress for Serena since she didn’t end up sleeping with Colin. Serena is still my least favorite character on the show though.

The fact that Blair basically banished Jenny from the upper east side continued to annoy me in this episode, and in my mind kind of warrented Dan plotting against Blair and Chuck. It’s always bugged me that Rufus has never confronted Blair about her banishing Jenny from the Upper East Side. Although, I’m not sure that he knows that Blair basically banished Jenny from the Upper East Side.

As for the video of Blair singing the song “Stand By Your Man” while she was drunk that Dan arranged to have played at her birthday party was absolutely hilarious. Leighton Meester was brilliant with the way she sang that song drunk. I also loved the part where the chocolate fountain fell on that lady at Blair’s birthday party. That was priceless!
 
To me the M.V.P.s of this episode in terms of both the actors and the characters were definitely Penn Badgely/Dan, Leighton Meester/Blair, and Katie Cassidy/Juliet. If you ask me, they all really shined in this episode.

The character Vanessa seemed pretty extraneous in this episode, as well as most of season four. I’m pretty sure she was only in one scene in this episode, which was at the very end of the episode. The only reason she was in this episode was basically so that Dan would have someone to vent to about what he did to get back at Blair and Chuck. I can see why the producers decided to not bring Jessica Szohr back as a series regular for season five.

One last thing that I loved about this episode was the camera work for the scene where Serena and Colin are talking in Colin’s office and are trying to resist the urge to kiss each other. The camera work for the Blair and Chuck love scene at the end of the episode was also pretty impressive in my opinion. That scene was a whole was pretty hot and sex-charged, in my opinion, and I absolutely loved it, mainly because of the dialogue leading up to the actual love scene itself. I’m still completely over Blair and Chuck as a couple though.

All in all, I absolutely loved this episode for the most part, so I give it a rating of an A-.

No comments :