Amazon Ad

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Gossip Girl: Blair pretends that she’s dating Dan in order to land a prince. That’s classic Blair. :) (My thoughts on episode 4x19 Petty in Pink)


I have to say that I absolutely loved this episode for the most part, mainly because it focused a lot on Dan and Blair’s friendship. I loved all of Dan and Blair’s scenes together, and I thought that Penn Badgley and Leighton Meester did a great job in all of their scenes together, and in the episode as a whole. When Penn and Leighton have scenes together they seem to genuinely enjoy working together.

I still don’t quite understand why Louis’ political advisor disapproves of him dating Blair, but I’m not going to get too hung up on that since it allowed Dan and Blair to have an excuse to spend time together and kiss each other again, even if it was all staged to lead Louis’ political advisor to believe that Blair was dating Dan, and not Louis.

Like the previous episode, I surprisingly actually kind of liked Serena’s storyline in this episode, because it didn’t involve her love life like almost all of her storylines usually do. I really enjoyed watching Serena work with Charlie and showing her how to use the Gossip Girl website to figure out what was going on between Dan and Blair. Although, Serena did piss me off with how she got so upset when she realized that Dan and Blair had been spending time together and she thought that they were dating before they told her that it was all an act for Louis’s benefit, but that they had genuinely become friends. I don’t think she has the right to get upset them if they had actually been dating. After all, Serena did sleep with Nate when he was dating Blair. I’m so glad that Blair called Serena out on her arrogance and her obsessive need to be the center of attention. Serena really can be extremely arrogant sometimes, and I absolutely hate that about her. Also, I thought it was pretty stupid of Serena to up and decide to call a guy that she met in Paris that past summer after finding out that Dan and Blair have become friends.

In the end, Dan and Blair’s charade worked out for Louis, and he decided that he and Blair should be open and honest about their relationship. The jury is still out on exactly how I feel about Louis and Blair as a couple, even after having seen all of the season three though. I definitely like them a lot more as a couple than I like Chuck and Blair now. That’s for sure.

I have to say that the more I see of Charlie the more I like her, especially considering what they reveal about her in the season finale. She’s definitely not as naïve as she lets on. I find Charlie very intriguing. I also enjoyed the scene between Dan and Charlie at the end of the episode when she came to the loft to apologize for filming him kissing Blair and sending it to Gossip Girl. It made me really happy when Dan admitted that as much as he tried to deny it, there’s a part of him that has feelings for Blair. I really hope that Dan and Blair will become an actual couple and have an actual romantic relationship in season five.

We found out who Vanessa had been talking to on the phone is the previous episode. It turns out that she was talking to Serena about Dan and Blair. I didn’t feel sorry for Vanessa at all when Dan rejected her apology and told her that they were no longer friends. Vanessa really brought that all on herself, and she’s become an increasingly useless character with each passing episode. I’m so glad that Jessica Szohr won’t be a series regular for season five. I don’t have a problem with her appearing on the show from time to time next season though.

Lily’s storyline was also pretty interesting with her planning a breast cancer benefit and having to deal with her friends shunning her due to her recent legal problems and being on house arrest. I felt really bad for Lily, but I thought it was nice of Rufus and Eric to have the party moved to their penthouse so she could attend it. I loved how Lily left the penthouse because she knew her ankle monitor would go off, causing the cops to come arrest her, but she then had them break up the party instead as a way to get back at her friends for shunning her at the party and to show them that she hadn’t lost her edge.

The only true complaint that I have about this episode was the storyline with Chuck and Nate trying to help Raina track down a woman she thought might be her mother, because she mysteriously disappeared the night of a fire in a warehouse many years, never to be seen or heard from again. In the end, the whole thing ended up being a case of mistaken identity, but Chuck got some audio tapes from the warehouse on the night of the fire and started listening to them at the end of the episode. That whole storyline just seemed rather pointless to me, and it focused way too much on Raina. That’s not a good thing, if you ask me, considering the fact that Raina is just a guest star character.

All in all, I think that aside from the storyline with Chuck and Nate helping Raina figure out what happened to her mom, this was a really great episode. The scenes between Dan and Blair were pure gold. I absolutely love Charlie, and Serena didn’t annoy me nearly as much as she typically does. All that being said, my rating for this episode is an A-.

No comments :