Amazon Ad

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gossip Girl: Chuck and Charlie go off the deep end. Welcome to Crazy Town! (My thoughts on episode 4.21: Shattered Bass)


I have to say that I absolutely loved this episode for the most part. Most of the storylines were pretty interesting, even Chuck’s storyline, and Chuck is really annoying me right now. I’m so sick of watching Chuck wallow and drink himself into a stupor over losing Blair. He brought that all on himself. Although, I have to say that Chuck’s storyline did have an interesting twist. When I watched this episode the first time back when it first aired I remember being completely surprised by the fact that Chuck’s uncle, Jack, Nate and Chuck were all working together to get Russell Thorpe to confess to starting the fire that killed his wife. Plus, given the way Jack treated Chuck the last time we saw him, it seemed completely in character for him to actually want to cause Chuck to have a nervous breakdown. They all acted genuinely angry with Chuck for his recent behavior, I didn’t think it could possibly be act. I still love that twist even after already having watched the episode several times.

I’m so sick of Russell and Raina Thorpe. I find them pretty boring, and they just aren’t really doing anything for me, or my enjoyment of the show. I just wish they would go away.

Blair’s storyline with Louis and her inability to completely cut Chuck out of her life was also very interesting. She went off to talk to him several times in this episode, which caused Louis to become jealous and follow Blair one of the times she went to see Chuck without her knowing it. Louis later confronted Chuck about his relationship with Blair, and Chuck was simply rude and dismissive about the whole thing. Louis’ mother was also worried about Blair’s obvious lingering feelings for Chuck. It’s very obvious that Blair and Louis’ relationship is doomed to fail.

At the end of the episode, Russell Thorpe lured Blair to an abandoned warehouse because he believed that Chuck had told her the truth about him starting the fire that killed his wife years ago by sending her text message that she believed was from Chuck. That scene really creeped me out, and the episode ended with that being one of several cliffhangers. This episode actually had a lot of cliffhangers to lead into the season finale, which I thought was pretty cool.

I’m glad that Blair didn’t Serena off the hook for sending Louis’ mother copies of posts from Gossip Girl in the previous episode and continued to give her the cold shoulder. I personally think people are usually too quick to forgive Serena when she screws up, and that absolutely annoys the hell out of me.

My favorite storyline was definitely the storyline with Dan and Charlie. They continued to spend time together, bonding over similar tastes in literature and some of Dan’s writing that Charlie had read. Dan also invited Charlie to come with him to an alumni party at Constance as his date, which was mentioned by many of the characters throughout the episode who were also going to the party.

It was heavily hinted at throughout the episode that Charlie is bipolar or has some other kind of chemical unbalance, because Rufus reminded her to pick up her prescription for her medication, but then she didn’t and acted like she had forgotten, but Rufus had already picked up her prescription when she told him that she had forgotten.

Charlie said that the last time she went off her medication things went from “well to hell” as she put it and promised Rufus that she would take her medication, but as soon as Rufus left the room, Charlie poured the pills into the trashcan. She very quickly started acting very erratically, which I thought Kaylee DeFer played very well.

We learned that Charlie hadn’t received the trust fund from hers’ and Serena’s grandmother, which she apparently should have gotten when she eighteen or a little older than that. They didn’t give a specific age at which Charlie should have gotten it. Charlie said that it was probably due to the tension between her mother, Carol, and her grandmother. Serena agreed to put in a good word for Charlie, and Charlie ended up getting the trust fund after Serena talked to their grandmother. Charlie claimed to have used some of the money from her trust fund to buy a dress for the party, but I don’t think she did, because when she showed up for the party Charlie was wearing the dress that Serena wore to her cotillion and wore her hair similar to way the Serena wore it at her cotillion. Serena accused her of stealing her dress, but Charlie adamantly denied that was the case. Dan put an end to the fight, and they continued to spend time together, talking about Dan’s high school years.

After telling Charlie that he had never done anything truly bad when he was in high school, they snuck off to have sex in one of the teachers’ offices. They were on the verge of having sex when things took a turn for the weird after Charlie asked Dan to call her Serena. That was really weird, if you ask me, and I don’t understand Charlie’s sudden obsession with Serena. It’s probably because she went off her medication, which Rufus discovered right around that point in the episode and had everyone go try to track her down after she ran off after the whole fiasco with Dan at the end of the episode, because they were worried what she might do since she was off her medication.

One last comment that I would like to make about this episode is that I loved seeing Cyrus Rose again in this episode, because I’ve been a huge fan of the actor Wallace Shawn, who plays Cyrus, ever since I saw him the movie Clueless as a kid.

All in all, I absolutely loved this episode for the most part. Even Serena didn’t annoy me all that much in this episode, and it’s very rare that she doesn’t annoy me. The stuff with Dan and Charlie was definitely my favorite thing about this episode. I loved that this episode had a lot of twists and cliffhangers at the end of the episode to lead into the season finale. The only thing that I didn’t care for about this episode is the presence of Russell and Raina Thorpe. I just want them to go away.

All that being said, I give this episode a rating of an A-.

No comments :