Amazon Ad

Monday, November 21, 2011

Gossip Girl: Dan is the man! (My thoughts on episode 5x02 Beauty and the Feast)


I apologize for being so behind on writing my thoughts posts for Gossip Girl. Given that I’m currently in the middle of my last semester of college, school has kept me pretty busy lately, but I’m slowly getting caught up on writing my blog posts. Anyway, moving onto my thoughts regarding this episode.

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode for the most part. My favorite thing about this episode was definitely Blair’s storyline where she was dealing with Louis and his family who were all worried that she was having a relapse with her bulimia, not knowing that she’s actually pregnant and it’s simply morning sickness that’s making her throw up all the time. I’m glad that they mentioned Blair’s bulimia in this episode. I’m pretty sure they haven’t mentioned it since season one, and I was really beginning to think that they were never going to mention it again.

One of my favorite things about this episode was definitely the scene where Blair is with Dorota at her doctor’s appointment and keeps asking Dorota’s doctor very personal questions about different aspects of pregnancy, leading the doctor to believe that she’s talking about Dorota and not herself. However, Dorota quickly figures out that Blair’s pregnant. That scene was hilarious, and the way Blair acted in that scene was classic Blair.

Louis’ sister, Beatrice, really annoyed me in this episode. I thought she was way too nosy, and she’s definitely nothing but trouble. She’s also downright slutty. Toward the end of the episode, they showed her scheming with the priest that Louis wants to officiate his wedding to Blair, and the whole thing got even weirder, because she and the priest started making out in Beatrice’s limo after they finished their conversation. That was so wrong and so gross. I just want her and Louis to go away.

I loved Dan in this episode, because this episode really showed what a great guy he is. At the beginning of the episode he was trying to track down the publisher that Vanessa gave the manuscript of his book to so he could stop it from being published. Dan decided that he could probably figure that out if he could get access to Vanessa’s bank account to see where the checks are coming from. After Serena suggested that he ask Chuck for help with this, he decided to do that. However, he ended up putting his problems aside in order to help Chuck after found him being beaten up by several guys and broke up the fight, not knowing at first that Chuck had paid them to beat him up. He also noticed the bruises on Chuck’s rib cage and had a doctor examine him. The doctor warned Chuck that if he wasn’t careful, he could end puncturing a lung. Despite the doctor’s warning, Dan found Chuck being beaten up again by the guys that he had found Chuck with earlier in the episode.

I loved the scene were Dan was researching different kinds of post traumatic stress disorders and found a description for a post traumatic stress disorder that fit Chuck’s recent behavior. I thought it was really nice of Chuck to agree to help Dan try and find out what publisher Vanessa sent his book to, so he can try and stop it from being published. The best part of that scene was when Dan told Chuck that he could tickle him, but Chuck simply told him that he could pay people to do that. That was hilarious.

There were also some great scenes between Dan and Blair in this episode as well. He initially went to talk to Blair about Chuck’s reckless behavior, but he soon found himself being concerned about Blair after she dragged him into the women’s restroom of the place where the feast that she was attending with Louis and his sister and told him to guard the door while she threw up. He also wondered if she was having a relapse with her bulimia, but she quickly admitted to him that she was pregnant, not bulimic again. I have to say that I absolutely loved that scene and the humor that the writers injected into that scene made it even better.

My favorite scene of the episode is definitely the last scene of the episode when Blair goes to Dan’s loft to talk to him about the fact that she’s pregnant and that she’s afraid she’ll lose everything since she doesn’t know who the father of her baby is. I love that Dan didn’t judge Blair for not knowing who the father of her baby is. He was just there for her and gave her emotional support. That scene was beyond perfect when it comes to both the writing for the scene and Penn and Leighton’s performance. It was such a sweet and touching scene, and Gossip Girl’s narration for that scene put it over the top in terms of greatness, if you ask me.

I’ve been visiting the IMDB message board for Gossip Girl a lot this season, and someone pointed out that Chuck once told Blair, I think it was in the first season when Blair had a pregnancy scare, that she didn’t even have him when she told him that she’s lost everything and that he’s all she had. However, in the final scene of this episode Dan told Blair that she will always have him. A lot of people on that message board have pointed out a lot of parallels between moments from Chuck and Blair’s relationship and Dan and Blair’s relationship, and I’m really starting to think that’s intentional on the writers’ part. I think that the writers are really trying to emphasize the idea that Dan is the exact opposite of Chuck in terms of how he treats Blair this season. Although, it’s always been blatantly obvious that Dan is a much better man than Chuck has ever been as far as I’m concerned.

I have mixed feelings about Serena’s storyline with Ivy/Charlie in this episode. On the one hand, I’m thrilled that her storyline had absolutely nothing to do with her love life, but on the other hand, I thought it was pretty rude of Serena to just assume that Ivy/Charlie would want to live with her. Couldn’t Serena have taken the hint when Ivy/Charlie kept making excuses about why she didn’t think they should live together? Of course the reason why Ivy/Charlie kept making excuses about why she didn’t think they should live together was because she isn’t really Charlie and was afraid that if they were to live together, Serena would find out about that.

Keeping her secret proved to be rather difficult for Ivy, because Serena had kept insisting that they live together. Although, things got really tricky for Ivy to explain after the check she wrote to put a down payment on a place to stay with Serena came back from the bank as an invalid check. Luckily, Serena just assumed that Carol had tried to cut her off from her trust fund and talked to her grandmother and got her to make it so Carol wouldn’t be able to cut Ivy/Charlie off from her trust fund again.

I found Ivy’s flip-flopping on whether or not she wanted to stay in L.A. kind of frustrating. First she had to deal with being evasive with Serena about why she didn’t want to live with her, then she suggested to Max that they leave L.A. so he can pursue his dream of being a chef. Ultimately, she reluctantly decided to go back to New York with Serena since her boss, Jane, had given her a job at her New York office. Although, her flip-flopping does make sense given the fact that she’s trying to hide the fact that she’s actually a con artist/actress that Carol hired to pose as her daughter Charlie, and it doesn’t look like her boyfriend Max knows about the fact that she was hired by Carol to pose as Charlie so Carol could get Charlie’s trust fund either.

I have to say that I felt really bad for Max when Ivy broke up with him. He seems like a really nice guy. I already know that Max shows up later in the season since he just showed up in one of the most recent new episodes. I’m guessing that he’ll play a big part in everyone finding out that Ivy isn’t actually Charlie like they all think she is.

I thought that Nate’s storyline was also pretty interesting. He was still obsessing over Diana after hooking up with her in the previous episode, but he didn’t know her name and was trying to find that out. However, he soon found her when he went to visit his mother to talk about possible internships that he could get since she had apparently been pressuring him to get an internship somewhere. Diana apparently had gone to visit Nate’s mother, Anne, about possibly doing an interview for the first issue of her new newspaper The Spectator, but she had declined. We didn’t get to see the conversation between Nate and his mother, but Nate apparently talked his mother into the interview in the hopes that it would get Diana to agree to go out on a date with him. They ended up having sex outside his mother’s house in a stairwell, and later she offered him a job at The Spectator, which he accepted.

I do think Nate’s storyline is kind of interesting because it’s obvious that Diana is up to something mysterious and is planning to use Nate in some way. I really want to see what’s going to happen with Diana, especially since the producers said that the storyline with Diana would also affect Gossip Girl herself in a big way, and I’m anxious to see how Gossip Girl reacts to the whole thing with Diana. However, this is also yet another romantic fling for Nate, and it’s also the second fling that he’s had with an older woman, so this storyline does seem kind of redundant in that sense. Regardless, I’m  still really anxious to see how the whole storyline with Diana plays out.

All in all, I really did love this episode for the most part. The scenes between Dan and Blair were definitely my favorite thing about this episode, especially the last scene of the episode. Dan and Chuck’s scenes together were great too. Like I just said, Nate’s storyline has the potential to be pretty interesting. One of the only things that really bugged me about this episode was Serena basically pressuring Ivy/Charlie into living with her even though Ivy/Charlie made it pretty clear that she was hesitant to do so. At least the writers didn’t give Serena yet another storyline about her love life, so I guess I should be thankful for that. The only other thing that I didn’t like about this episode was Beatrice. I can’t stand that woman, and I just wish she would go away. Despite those two things bothering me, this was still a really great episode.

All that being said, I give this episode a rating of an A-.

No comments :