Amazon Ad

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gossip Girl: Just how much of a train wreck is this episode? Let me count the ways (My thoughts on episode 6x09 “The Revengers”)


Let me start by saying that this episode was a truly terrible episode, and there’s almost nothing that I like enough about it to give it a rating that’s higher than an F. Therefore, I’ll be using this post to talk about some of things that I think made this such a terrible episode.

One of the only things that I liked about this episode is the way Blair, Chuck, Serena and Ivy teamed up to take down Bart. Later on in the episode Blair, Serena, Ivy, Georgina and Sage once again all teamed up to take down Bart Bass. I thought that was kind of funny, especially Ivy’s confusion about everything they were saying about Byzantine Warfare. Unfortunately, this brings me right to one of the things that made this episode so bad, in my opinion. It seems beyond ridiculous that Blair, Serena, Ivy, Georgina and Sage would be able to scare Bart given how ruthless of a man he is. That just seemed like rather ridiculous writing, if you ask me.

At one point in the episode Bart had Nate arrested for fraud because he’s been falsifying the financial records for The Spectator. When Chuck confronted Bart about that, he told Chuck that he has the court system in his pocket so the only way Nate would be able to get out of jail if Chuck agreed to move to Russia and never come back. While Nate was in jail his father came to visit him, they talked and Nate told him about the financial problems that he had been having with The Spectator, saying that he’s spent almost all of his trust fund trying to fix the website’s financial problems. As terrible as this season has been, I have to say that it was nice to see the writers acknowledge that trust funds don’t have an unlimited amount of money in them like the writers of 90210 have with Naomi and her trust fund ever since she gained access to her trust fund in season three. That’s something that’s always bothered me about the writing for Naomi on 90210, especially given how freely she spends large amounts of money, but I digress.

Nate’s father pleaded with Bart to drop the charges against Nate and tried to get Bart to agree to take his name off the loan documents for The Spectator, but he refused. I have to say it’s going to see how the series ends for Nate given his current predicament. One of the very few things that I’ve liked about the final season is the fact that Nate running The Spectator has been a major part of his storylines for the season like it was last season. Although, I hate that Sage’s father, Steven, has allowed Nate to continue to date Sage considering the fact that she’s underage. Although, given the fact that the writers have treated Chuck and Blair’s sick and abusive relationship as if it’s an epic fairytale romance, having Nate engage in a relationship that’s basically statutory rape without going to jail for it is par for the course with Gossip Girl at this point.



One thing that’s always bugged me about the show is the fact that most of Nate and Serena’s storylines have revolved around their love lives, at least that’s how it always seemed to me. Although, I have to admit that I’ve always had a higher tolerance for Nate’s love interests, because there has often been a twist to those storylines. Out of all of Nate’s love interests, my favorite is definitely Juliet Sharp from season four because I loved the whole storyline with Juliet trying to get revenge on Serena because she mistakenly thought that Serena had her brother sent to prison for a crime he didn’t commit. With Serena, it’s like the writers constantly decided to give her a love interest for the sake of giving her a love interest. Although, to be fair Serena didn’t really date anybody last season, which was a great change of pace in my opinion.

Bart hijacked Blair’s limo at one point in the episode and then he just randomly let her go….for some reason. That whole thing just seemed incredibly stupid to me, especially since most of it took place off-screen.

Serena has always annoyed the hell out of me, but I found her especially obnoxious in this episode, especially the way she was treating Dan. I know that Dan had done some rather despicable things this season, namely writing his profiles of all his friends and publishing them, but it sounds like he made some very good points about Serena’s past in the profile that was published, which painted her in bad light. I don’t really have any sympathy for Serena with her whole “Poor me” routine because Serena still seems like the same shallow, self-absorbed girl that Dan made her out to be in his profile on her that he had published. Serena is making plans to move back to California and go back to working on production crews for movies like she did last season. I have to say that as much as I hate Serena, I did enjoy watching her focus on something other than her love life last season. It was a lot more interesting than watching Serena’s revolving door of love interests.

Dan used to be one of the best characters on the show in my personal opinion, but not only did the writers single handedly ruin season five with the season five finale, they also pretty much completely assassinated Dan as a character with just that episode alone. Dan has continued to be rather unlikable this season, but I do think he’s given both Blair and Serena a good dose of brutal honesty this season, which I think they both desperately need. Although, I don’t think it did any good. As questionable as Dan’s behavior has been this season, I have say that I’ve really enjoyed watching him spend so much time with Georgina. It’s been great to just see a lot of Georgina in general this season, because I’ve always loved her as a character.

Dan did seem to display a certain level of morality in this episode. At the beginning of the episode Dan decided to buy a fancy apartment, but he apparently needs someone from the building Co-Op board to write him a letter of recommendation, so he asked Bart if he would write him a letter of recommendation. Bart agreed to write Dan a letter of recommendation if he wrote an article on him being named New York Real Estate’s man of the year and give a speech at the event. When it came time for Dan to give his speech and introduce Bart at the event, he ended up bringing Chuck up on stage to tell everyone that his father had just tried to have him killed by blowing up the plane that he was flying on to Moscow. It looks like Dan still has a shred of morality left in him, but I still think that the writers have really ruined him as a character.

The one thing that has left me thinking “WTF?” all week long was the conversation between Chuck and Blair where Chuck was telling her that he had to move to Russia and never come back because it was pretty much the only way to keep her safe from his father hurting her. The part of the conversation that has made think “WTF?” and shrug at the shear ridiculousness of it would be when Blair told Chuck that she didn’t want to be safe. If Blair doesn’t want to safe, then I guess Chuck is the perfect man for her. I used to be a major Chair shipper when the show started, but once Chuck tried to pimp Blair out to his Uncle Jack to get his hotel back in season three their relationship became downright sick and abusive, and I stopped being a Chair shipper. It sickens me that the writers have continued to act like Chuck and Blair’s relationship is some epic fairytale romance. They are basically trying to romanticize abusive relationships with those two, which is just extremely messed up to think about.

The whole confrontation between Bart and Chuck on roof of a building at the end of the episode was beyond ridiculous thanks to the fact that they were playing music that felt very reminiscent of the music that people used to score old action movies with. It’s like the writers just said, “Oh, screw it. The show is already complete and utter crap. Let’s just stop trying to do a good job even less then we’ve been trying and just make the show campy for the hell of it.”, when they were writing this episode.

At one point in the scene Blair found them, and Bart fell off the edge of roof. Bart was able to get a tenuous grip on the edge of the roof. Bart begged Chuck to grab his hand and pull him up onto the roof, but Chuck decided not to and let Bart to fall to his death and promptly fled the scene with Blair. I’m not sure what to make of Chuck letting Bart fall off the roof. On the one hand, I think the humane thing to do would have been to save Bart’s life despite all of the horrible things he’s done. On the other hand, Bart did threaten both Blair and Chuck’s lives in this episode, and he had even gone as far as trying to kill Chuck by blowing up the plane that he was sending Chuck to Moscow on earlier in the episode. There’s definitely no guarantee that Bart wouldn’t have tried to hurt him or Blair again if they had saved him. Plus, Bart could have easily thrown Chuck off the roof with him if they had tried to save him. Regardless, the whole incident is very messy and it does leave me thinking that Chuck and Blair are both horrible people to a certain extent for letting someone fall to their death, even if it was Bart Bass.

I have to say that I think it was really idiotic on the writers’ part to bring Bart back from the dead, saying that he had faked his death when we were originally led to believe that he had been killed only to kill him off the show again. It’s like the writers felt the need to give Chuck and Blair one more reason why they couldn’t get back together when they wanted to. If the writers wanted to keep Chuck and Blair apart for a while longer, I think they could have come up with some much better ideas to create obstacles for Chuck and Blair to overcome if they had actually put some effort into it. The whole thing with bringing Bart back from the dead was just beyond idiotic from the very beginning, if you ask me.

One last thing that I hated about this episode is the fact that I feel like a lot of very important plot developments happened off-screen, such as Bart hijacking Blair’s car and then letting her go off-screen. Plus, there’s the whole thing with Bart blowing up the plane that he was sending Chuck to Moscow on. I personally found that whole thing extremely confusing in terms of how Chuck managed to get off the plane before it blew up since we didn’t see all of that take place. I know that I’ve mentioned that I love 90210 more than Gossip Girl many times in the past, but one of the few things that I think the writers of Gossip Girl have typically done a better job of would be developing storylines fairly well with a nice buildup to them and the viewers usually get to see major plot developments happen onscreen.

Sure, the writers of Gossip Girl have occasionally had certain plot twists happen off-screen in the past, which I thought should have been shown, but they’ve never done that nearly as much as the writers of 90210 have throughout its run. Given the fact that this is the second to last episode of the entire series and technically part one of the series finale, this is definitely not a good episode to be having a lot of major plot developments take place off-screen. Considering the fact that the final season only has ten episodes, maybe the writers bit off more than they could chew with the amount of storylines they planned for the final season and that’s why a lot of things happened off-screen in this episode and were extremely rushed. Regardless, I feel like this episode was way too rushed and had too many things happen off-screen when the writers should have shown them.

All in all, this really was a terrible episode. The scene where Bart fell off the roof and died was horribly done thanks to the weird action movie music that they played in the background and was definitely one of the worst scenes from the episode, if not the entire series. I know they’ve done scenes that are styled after old movies in the past, but that definitely wasn’t a good time to do that. Like I mentioned earlier, this episode was way too rushed. The writing for this episode featured a lot of truly bad dialogue, and the episode as a whole was horribly written, if you ask me. At this point the only things about the series finale that I’m looking forward to are the return of Katie Cassidy as Juliet Sharp, Kristen Bell’s appearance in the episode, and of course, the reveal of who is Gossip Girl. Although, given how bad this episode was I’ve lowered my expectations for the series finale even lower than they were before, and they were already extremely low.

That being said, as I mentioned earlier my rating for this episode is an F.

No comments :