Amazon Ad

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tamed: Hold on tight, Matthew! You've just boarded the crazy train (My thoughts on Book #3 in the Tangled book series by Emma Chase)


http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1387087160l/18279145.jpg

As I said in my review of Twisted (My thoughts on Twisted), I thought that it was a rather disappointing follow-up to Tangled, which I absolutely loved. Thankfully, Tamed is MUCH better than Twisted. One thing that I found myself thinking about a lot as I was reading this book was that I think both Drew and Matthew are much more interesting protagonists than I thought Kate was in Twisted. Personally, I find the fact that Drew and Matthew were both much more interesting protagonists than Kate was rather interesting given the fact that this book series was written by a woman.

Right off the bat, I have to say that I’m really curious as to why Emma Chase chose to take a slight detour from what I like to call “The Drew and Kate Show” to write a book from Matthew’s point of view for the third book in the Tangled series. Like I said, I loved this book, but if I were her, personally, I would have waited until after Holy Frigging Matrimony had been released to write a book from Matthew’s point of view. Since Emma Chase didn’t really do anything to indicate when exactly the events that took place in this book took place in relation to the events that took place in Tangled and Tamed, I found it a little jarring to read this book. The closest Chase came to specifying the timeline of this book at the beginning of the book was having Matthew tell the reader that while Drew and Kate were dealing with their drama, he had his own relationship drama that he was dealing with.

It wasn’t until towards the end of the book when I finally figured out that the events of this book took place during the same period of time that Tangled did since Matthew went to visit Drew when he was stuck in bed because he had “the flu” as Drew put it back in Tangled. I definitely think Chase should have put some kind of note at the beginning of the book specifying when the events of this book place, so the reader wouldn’t have to spend almost the entire book trying to figure it out for themselves. Honestly, based on the beginning of the book, I thought the events of the book took place at some point during the two years that had passed between Tangled and Twisted, but I was never absolutely certain, and I was still a little confused once it was established that the events took place at the same time that the events that happened in Tangled.

While I’m definitely very curious as to why Chase chose to take a slight detour from The Drew and Kate Show for the third book in the Tangled series instead of waiting until after she published Holy Frigging Matrimony, this book reminded me a lot of why I’ve enjoyed Emily Giffin’s books in the past. While they haven’t really been labeled a series by anyone, several of Giffin’s books do take place in the same world and characters from her books have often made brief cameos in the books that followed whatever book they were a main character in, which allows people like me who have read all of her books to get a brief glimpse of what’s happened in the characters’ lives after the book they were the focus of ended. That’s something I’ve always like Giffin’s books, so I really did like getting to see Matthew and Dee be the focus of Tamed. Admittedly, I found both Matthew and Dee to be very forgettable characters when I was reading Tangled and Twisted. When I discovered that Matthew and Dee were the focus of Tamed, I honestly really had to think hard to try and remember anything that Chase had said about Matthew or Dee in those books.



If by chance you haven’t read Tangled or Twisted, please, don’t take my not being able to remember Matthew and Dee as a sign that they aren’t interesting characters, because they are both really interesting characters in this book. It was definitely nice to see Matthew and Dee be fleshed out in more detail. I think the main reason why I had such a hard time remembering who they were is because I got so invested in the relationship between Drew and Kate when I was reading Tangled that unless the characters were featured a lot like Alexandra, Billy and Mackenzie were, they didn’t stand out to me all that much. When it comes to Twisted, Kate spent a significant part of the book staying with her mother, so it wouldn’t make sense for Matthew and Dee to be featured in that book all that much.

While I thought Twisted was very disappointing, reading this book once again reminded me what a talented writer Chase truly is. One thing that I loved about Tangled was the fact that it was a romance novel written from the man’s (Drew) point of view, which is something that I hadn’t really encountered before as I’ve read numerous romance novels over the years. However, I don’t think simply writing a romance novel from a man’s point of view means that it’s automatically going to be a great book. It also helped that Drew was a very interesting, funny and likable character.

Like Drew, Matthew is also a very likable guy, but at the same time, he’s not a saint, which I also love, because sometimes I think men who are a complete and total gentlemen, especially in a story about a romantic relationship can be a little boring. That being said, while I really liked Matthew as both a protagonist and a fictional character in general, I didn’t like him quite as much as I love Drew as a protagonist. Unfortunately, I can’t quite put my finger on why that is exactly. If I had to guess why I prefer Drew over Matthew, I’d say that Matthew ended up coming across as being “Drew lite”. While I thought that Matthew had a good sense of humor and an interesting prospective on life, I personally think that Drew is a little funnier and his views on women and life in general are also a little bit more entertaining in my opinion.

When it comes to stories, regardless of whether it’s a TV show, movie, or in this case a book, I’m very drawn to stories with characters that are very flawed and have a tendency to do morally questionable things at time, but at the same time the audience can still like them. I definitely love both Matthew and Dee as characters because they are definitely both flawed characters. That being said, I view Matthew as having been more flawed in the past than he is in the present, because it was established that Matthew had cheated on every girlfriend that he’d had until he dated a woman named Rosaline who cheated on him and broke his heart. Based on what Matthew tells both Dee and us, the reader, about the aftermath of his breakup with Rosaline, it sounds like getting his heart broken by Rosaline is what caused him to change his ways and become a better person. Rosaline is briefly featured in the book. Based on what we see of her, I’d say that while I feel bad for Matthew for having Rosaline cheat on him and break his heart, Matthew definitely dodged a bullet. Rosaline seemed beyond crazy, and while I’m no psychiatrist, I definitely think that she’s someone who needs to be on A LOT of medication.

Dee is definitely a very interesting character to say the least. For the most part, Dee comes across as being a very strong willed, independent and confident woman, which I loved about her. On the other hand, there were times when she acted rather crazy and irrational and reminded me a lot of the character Andie Anderson from the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days once she had really cranked up her crazy act. The only difference between Andie and Dee is that I found Andie’s crazy antics rather funny and entertaining. In fact, the parts of the movie where Andie was acting particularly crazy have always been my favorite parts of the movie.

When it comes to Dee, I didn’t find her behavior funny when she was acting rather crazy and irrational. She definitely annoyed me at times with her antics to the point where there was a small part of me that was left wondering why Matthew was willing to put up with her flaky bullshit. Given what we, the reader, are told about Dee’s unfortunate history of constantly getting hurt by the men that she had dated over the years, I can definitely sympathize with her though. It was also established that Dee got pregnant when she was a teenager and her boyfriend abandoned her, which ultimately led her to have an abortion. However, I still think the fact that Dee had a habit of jumping to the wrong conclusion way too quickly at times throughout the book when in reality Matthew hadn’t done anything wrong was rather annoying.

I think the reason why Dee’s habit of doing this bugged me so much is because people constantly jumping to conclusions or rushing to judgment about someone or something that they know very little, if anything, about is a major pet peeve of mine. Personally, I have a really hard time respecting someone’s opinions or views on things if it’s obvious that they don’t know what they’re talking about. It really annoyed me that she freaked out and got mad at Matthew when she saw him having lunch with Alexandra A.K.A. “The Bitch” at the one point in the book, and automatically assumed that he was dating other women behind her back, prompting her to dump her slushy on him before he introduced Dee and Alexandra to each other. That part kind of left me wondering if Dee was expecting Matthew to never speak to any other women aside from her ever again just so she wouldn’t have to worry about other women possibly being a romantic rival to her when it came to Matthew. Honestly, I felt like she was kind of channeling Christian Grey from the Fifty Shades books in that moment, and personally I don’t think Christian Grey is someone that ANYBODY should try to be like in ANY way. As a brief side note, I’d like to mention that I absolutely loved the part of the book where Matthew’s mother was talking to him about the Fifty Shades books. I found Matthew’s reaction to her talking about the books rather funny. That was definitely one of my favorite parts of the book.

There was also the part of the book where Dee freaked out about her relationship with Matthew during the middle of the night because things between them were moving too fast for her taste. However, Matthew managed to quickly convince Dee to give him another chance. Now that I’ve finished reading the book, I have to say that the reason why Dee’s whole freak out really bugged me was because Chase didn’t really do all that much with it since Matthew managed to convince Dee not end their relationship pretty quickly and pretty easily. If Chase had done more with Dee’s whole freak out, it probably wouldn’t have bothered me all that much. All it did was give me yet another reason to view Dee as being a bit of a one-woman circus, and it seemed to do nothing for the overall story other than increase the book’s word count. A part of me feels like I shouldn’t be too judgmental of Dee though since I’ve always viewed myself as having a tendency to be rather neurotic at times, and like they say, “Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

I guess what I’m trying to say is that while fictional characters who for the most part are strong-willed and confident having a tendency to also be very insecure and have trust issues at times could possibly be interesting in theory, I don’t think Chase necessarily managed to balance those aspects of who Dee is as a character very effectively in this case. It just made Dee seem really annoying and unstable at times. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the last time Dee’s issues with trust and commitment caused problems for them. The events that took place in Tangled with Kate breaking up with Billy apparently happened on the same night that Matthew was planning to give Dee a key to his place, Kate and Billy’s breakup once again brought out Dee’s commitment and trust issues, only this time Matthew and Dee broke up. I feel I should note that this was the point in the book when I finally figured out what the timeline was for the events that took place in this book in relationship to the events that took place in Tangled and Twisted.

Personally, I was really happy with the way this book ended. As I was reading this book, there was a part of that was worried that the book was going to end with Matthew making yet another grand gesture that would lead him to truly win Dee’s heart, so I was happy to see that’s not what happened. The farther I got into the book, the more I thought that it would be very disappointing if Dee didn’t do something or make some kind of grand gesture to win Matthew back. The reason that became so important to me as I was reading the book was because it seemed to me like Matthew was doing almost all of the chasing while Dee was basically just playing hard to get.

I like that as a grand gesture to win back Matthew, Dee got a tattoo of his name. I feel like that really showed her growth as a character since she had previously told Matthew the reason she got one of her nipples pierced when her friends got tattoos back when they were younger was because she didn’t want to do anything to her body that would be permanent and that she wouldn’t be able to get rid of if she wanted to. I also really enjoyed the epilogue that jumped ahead six months where Matthew and Dee got married by an Elvis Pressley impersonator at a wedding chapel in Vegas. Plus, the fact that Matthew proposed to Dee while he was being treated in the emergency room of a hospital all felt rather fitting since their entire relationship hadn’t been all that traditional to begin with.

All things considered, while I’m still curious as to why Emma Chase chose to take a detour from “The Drew and Kate Show” for the third book in the Tangled series, that didn’t stop me from loving Tamed. I thought that it was a very well written book, and I thought both Matthew and Dee were both very interesting and likable characters, even if Dee come across as being a tad annoying and crazy at times. Much like Chase did with Tangled and to a certain degree Twisted, I thought that she did a great job of putting a fresh spin on a genre that I feel is often full of clichés, especially when it comes to the way Tamed ends with Dee being the one to make the final grand gesture instead of having Matthew make some kind of grand gesture to win Dee back like so many other romantic stories would usually do.

While I think Matthew and Drew are both great protagonists, I definitely like Drew just a little bit more. I think it’s because I think Drew is a little bit funnier than Matthew was at times, especially when it comes to the wisdom and insight Drew tries to convey to the reader. While I don’t think it’s entirely necessary for either Matthew or Drew to be acting as if they’re competing for a “Funniest Man of the Year” award, I simply find Drew’s humor and prospective on women and life in general a bit more entertaining.

This truly is a great book and one that I would definitely recommend reading, especially if you’re a fan of romance novels. It was definitely an enjoyable detour from “The Drew and Kate Show”. Speaking of detours, the next thing I’ll be reviewing is chapter two and maybe chapter three of Fifty Shades of Grey, which will also serve as a bit of preparation for reading and reviewing the first book in Sylvia Day’s Crossfire series, Bared to You.

That being said, my final score for Tamed is 8 out of 10.

No comments :