Amazon Ad

Saturday, June 13, 2015

So…What’s the point of this story? I really wish I knew. (My thoughts on “The Wonder Garden” from The Wonder Garden by Lauren Acampora)


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ifhxCfTwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Let me start out this review by saying that I went into reading this story with high hopes given the fact that the story share its title with the book, and I thought that “Ground Fault” was a great way to start the book. Unfortunately, I have to say that I found the story “The Wonder Garden” to be rather disappointing. For the record, I think that Lauren Acampora presented a lot of good ideas for a story in “The Wonder Garden”, but I feel like the writing for this story is all over the place and lacks focus, which really surprised me given how well Acampora developed John as a character in “Ground Fault”, while still keeping the story very tight, focused and contained.

Honestly, it’s very hard for me to describe the plot of “The Wonder Garden” other than the fact that the central character in this story was a woman named Rosalie given the fact that the story seemed to go in all sorts of directions. It starts off by focusing on the fact that Rosalie and her family were hosting a foreign exchange student, a girl named Nayana, who was Bangladesh. After having the story be about the family hosting Nayana for a while, the focus of the story seemed to shift to the fact that Rosalie was the wife a doctor, so she spends a great deal time being involved with her children’s school by serving on the school board. Personally, I really enjoyed that part of the story, mainly because it had some interesting moments featuring John from “Ground Fault”.

Based on Rosalie’s interactions with John, it was pretty clear that she doesn’t like him very much. Given the way he was portrayed in “Ground Fault” and how the couple that was buying the house John was inspecting seemed to react to him, I can definitely believe that he might rub some people the wrong way despite the fact I think that he seemed like a pretty nice guy for the most part. I think that getting to know how Rosalie feels about John was a great way for Acampora to continue to develop him as a character even though he wasn’t the focus of this story. Even though John was only featured in the story briefly, Acampora did a great job of making it clear to the reader that neither Rosalie nor John is very fond of each other.

At one point in the story, Rosalie witnessed a strange interaction between her husband, Michael, and a woman when their family was having dinner at a restaurant. When I was reading this part of the story, I thought that the story would end up being about Rosalie finding out that Michael was having an affair. However, Rosalie asked Michael who the woman was, he denied knowing her, and this particular plot thread was dropped after that. I’ll admit this part of the story really intrigued me, and I really wish that this aspect of the story had been fleshed out more. Give the fact that it only lasted for a few pages, it ended up feeling like pointless filler, as far as I’m concerned.



The story basically ended with Nayana telling Rosalie that her son, Noah, had taken her to see where the name of his biological father was featured on a 9/11 memorial. Rosalie confronted Noah about the fact that he had taken Nayana to the 9/11 memorial, and he acted like a major brat to her and was suddenly acting like he has major issues with the fact that he was adopted. Honestly, I feel like Noah’s behavior came out of nowhere. Unless I missed something, which is possible since I spent so much time wondering where the story was going, not because I was truly invested in the story, but rather because the writing for “The Wonder Garden” felt so scattered and unfocused; I’m pretty sure that it hadn’t been previously established that Rosalie and Michael’s kids were adopted until Nayana told Rosalie that she had gone to see the 9/11 memorial with Noah.

Given the fact that “The Wonder Garden” suffers from a serious lack of focus and direction, it’s really hard for me to say what the point of the story is. If I had to guess what the point of the story is supposed be, I would say that it’s that despite all of the adversity and conflict Rosalie faces throughout the story, she refuses to give up and is still standing in the end. The following closing line of the story only served to reinforce my belief that the point of the story is that Rosalie doesn’t give up when she’s faced with adversity. “It is all right to retreat. She will pull back, she will redraw her boundaries. She will find her balance. When she emerges again, she will be refreshed, reenergized. She will be the best Rosalie she can be. The best and only.” (Acampora 57)

Something that I considered talking about in my review of “Ground Fault” but ultimately decided to wait to talk about in this review is that one thing I’ve always wondered about is when it comes to short story collections that are written by one author, how is the order of the stories is decided? This something that I’ve always been especially curious about when it comes to short story collections where all of the stories are connected in some way like the short stories in this book are. Is the order of the stories decided by the author, or is it a collaborative decision that’s made between the author and the editor?

The other thing that I’ve wondered about a lot is why did Lauren Acampora decide to have the title of the book be The Wonder Garden? This is something that’s especially baffled me after reading this story since the titular Wonder Garden doesn’t have any impact on this story at all. Honestly, I don’t even know why this story is called “The Wonder Garden”. The family briefly talks about possibly going to a place called the Wonder Garden at one point in the story, and then it’s never mentioned again after that. Unless the Wonder Garden ends up playing a role in some of the other stories in this book, it makes no sense to me at all for the book to be called The Wonder Garden. Honestly, I think a more fitting title for the book would have been, Welcome to Old Cranbury, or simply Old Cranbury.

If it seems like I’m being really hard on “The Wonder Garden”, please understand that I don’t mean to be. I think Acampora presents a lot of interesting ideas in this story, but the fact that the story seems to really suffer from a major lack of focus and direction really hurts the story as a whole. I feel like Acampora really should have just picked one of the plot threads that I mentioned earlier, and she should have had the story be about that plot thread and only that plot thread. Personally, I would have really liked to see Acampora expand upon the strange interaction that Rosalie witnessed between her husband, Michael, and the woman when their family was at the restaurant having dinner together. That part of the story really intrigued me.

All things considered, while I think “The Wonder Garden” has a lot of good ideas for a story, those ideas were poorly executed, and the story is unfortunately still a mess. The writing for this story was incredibly unfocused, and it really came across to me as Acampora not knowing for certain what she wanted the story to be about. A major highlight of this story for me was the fact that John was briefly featured in the story, and we got some insight into how Rosalie feels about him. I feel like that really helped to further develop John as a character even though Rosalie was the protagonist in “The Wonder Garden”, and he was a very minor character in the story.

That being said, my final score for “The Wonder Garden” is 5 out of 10.

No comments :