Amazon Ad

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Cress: This sure isn’t your typical Rapunzel retelling (My thoughts on book #3 in The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer)


http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1379083526l/13206828.jpg

Let me preface this review by saying that out of all the fairy tales that Marissa Meyer incorporated into The Lunar Chronicles, the story of Rapunzel is definitely the one that I know the least about. That being said, I feel like the fact that I wasn’t very familiar with the story of Rapunzel actually enhanced my enjoyment of Cress in a lot of ways. When I was reading Cinder and Scarlet, I found myself constantly thinking about the original stories of Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood and was frequently wondering how Marissa Meyer might or might not incorporate and reimagine various elements from those stories into the series. However, when I was reading Cress, I just enjoyed it as its own unique story without ever really comparing and contrasting it to the story of Rapunzel.

Before I go any further, I’d like to just go right ahead and say that Cress is definitely my favorite book in the series so far. If you’ve read my review for Scarlet, you may remember that one of the things that I talked about in my review is that the book wasn’t quite what I was expecting when it comes to it serving as a follow-up to Cinder and a continuation of the series. Cress, however, was much more in line with what I had originally been expecting the books that followed Cinder to be like prior to actually reading Scarlet. One of my biggest criticisms about Scarlet is that I felt like Cinder was kind of hogging the spotlight throughout the book, and when that wasn’t the case, the book felt like too much of an ensemble piece for my taste. I really feel like Marissa Meyer should have focused at least a little more on Scarlet and Wolf in Scarlet than she did. While Cress is also very much an ensemble piece, I think Meyer did a much better job of putting most of the focus of the book on Cress, as well as Thorne since he’s Cress’ love interest in the series.

One of things that I have to give this book a lot of praise for is the fact that the story had really great pacing, in my opinion. There was a lot of action and different things happening throughout the book, but the story never felt like it was moving too slow or too fast. Plus, all of the storylines that were going on throughout the book were very interesting and engaging, so I never found myself getting bored, or having trouble paying attention to the story as I was listening to the audiobook version of Cress.

Crescent “Cress” Moon Darnel is definitely a very likable and interesting character. In a story that’s full of fantasy elements, she really felt like a real person and a well-rounded character, especially when it came to her feelings for Thorne. Given the fact that Cress had lived a rather sheltered life, being stuck in a satellite in space for pretty much her entire life, it made a lot of sense to me that she would have somewhat of a naïve view of the world and the stories that she had read about Thorne in the news. She believed that Thorne had had noble reasons for the various questionable things that he had done over the years, often breaking various laws in the process, when in reality Thorne’s motives for his actions had typically been rather self-serving.



While I did love the interactions between Cinder and Thorne in Scarlet, this book definitely made me a huge fan of the Cress and Thorne relationship. All of Cress and Thorne’s scenes together throughout the book were great, but the parts of the book where Cress and Thorne were walking through the Sahara desert in search of help after they crashed on earth in one of Cress’ satellite pods, and they subsequently came across a group of traveling people were definitely a major highlight of the book for me personally. I feel like they play off each other very well, and I think they have really great chemistry with each other. As I said in my review for Emma Chase’s book Appealed, it’s typically very challenging for me to tell whether or not two characters in a book actually have chemistry with each other, especially compared to being able to pick up on the chemistry between two characters on a TV show or in a movie that are played by actors. However, much like I thought the chemistry between Brent and Kennedy was incredibly palpable in Appealed, I felt like Cress and Thorne’s chemistry was pretty obvious as I was reading this book. It was really great to see Cress and Thorne work together in order to survive when they were stranded and walking through the desert looking for people to help them, which wasn’t easy for them to do, because Thorne had lost his eyesight in the crash.

Because I wasn’t very familiar with the original story of Rapunzel, I wasn’t aware of the fact that like Thorne, the guy in the original story (Dame Gothel) also goes blind after suffering a fall until I read the page about Thorne on the Lunar Chronicles wiki. Personally, I really like how Meyer is handling Thorne’s eyesight being restored by using some special eye drops that Dr. Erland AKA Dr. Sage Darnel made for him. Technically, Thorne hadn’t started taking the eye drops yet at the end of the book, but based on what I know about the final book in the series, Winter, it sounds like his eyesight is gradually restored once he starts taking his eye drops. Regardless, I think the way Thorne’s eyesight is restored really fits the science fiction nature of the Lunar Chronicles.

Personally, I really enjoyed the scenes between Thorne and Dr. Erland as Dr. Erland was creating the eye drops for Thorne for a variety of reasons. First off, Thorne was being classic Thorne as he was interacting with Dr. Erland, which added a nice amount of humor to the scenes that were for the most part rather dramatic. Despite being separated from Cress for most of her life, Dr. Erland was really acting like a protective father with the way he disapproved of Thorne, which I can definitely kind of understand since Thorne has by his own admission done quite a few bad or questionable things throughout his lifetime. Things took an especially dramatic turn when Dr. Erland discovered that he had contracted a mutated form of the Letumosis virus that kills people very quickly. It was definitely rather heartbreaking to see Dr. Erland die so soon after being reunited with Cress, especially due the to the fact that Cress couldn’t bring herself to tell Dr. Erland that she loved him as he was dying. I thought that Meyer handled the combination of the lighthearted aspects of the scenes between Thorne and Dr. Erland and the more dramatic parts of those scenes once Dr. Erland realized that he was dying and he was with Cress perfectly.

I have to say that I do love the conversation that Cress and Thorne had at the end of the book where Thorne is comforting Cress, and he’s talking to her about Dr. Erland’s death. Personally, I thought that it was really sweet that he told Cress that it’s understandable that she couldn’t bring herself to tell Dr. Erland that she loved him. It was certainly heartbreaking that Cress couldn’t bring herself to tell Dr. Erland that she loved him as he was dying; however, as Thorne pointed out, Dr. Erland may have been her father, but she never got a chance to know him or form an emotional bond with him.

Cress also featured some pretty good moments that were centered around Scarlet and Wolf, both as individual characters and in terms of their relationship. Meyer did a great job of showing how Scarlet and Wolf feel about each other, despite the fact that they spent most of the book separated from one another after Scarlet got captured while she, Cinder, Thorne and Wolf were trying to rescue Cress from the satellite. Wolf was also severely injured in the process, because Cress’ keeper, Thaumaturge Sybil Mira, had discovered that Cress was trying to escape the satellite and had set a trap for Cinder, Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf. I have to say that I really liked the parts of the story that involved Cinder and Wolf pretending to be a couple at the festivities for Kai and Queen Levana’s wedding; which was a part of their plan to stop the wedding and reveal that Cinder is the long lost Lunar Princess Selene, and the true queen of the moon colony, Luna.

Personally, I thought that Meyer did a great job of introducing the character Jacin Clay in Cress, since he will obviously play a big role in the final book in the series, Winter. Technically, Jacin was briefly featured in Cinder, but admittedly, I forgot about that until I was reading the page about Jacin on the Lunar Chronicles Wiki. I love how Meyer wrote the parts featuring Jacin in such a way that they had a certain level of mystery to them, with him telling the others that despite being one of Levana’s guards, he’s only loyal to his princess. The others believed that he was referring to Cinder since she’s actually Princess Selene, but he was really referring to Winter.

Speaking of Winter, we were also briefly introduced to her when it was revealed towards the end of the book that she’s keeping Scarlet prisoner in her palace, which is apparently similar to a zoo. It was pretty clear when Winter was visiting Scarlet in her prison cell that she’s a few tacos short of a combo meal at the moment. Apparently, the fact that Winter has kind of gone insane is the result of Winter refusing to use her lunar gift. I’m definitely very excited to see how Winter is developed and fleshed out as a character in Winter, because I’ve always loved fictional characters that have a bit of crazy side to them.

In case you haven’t already read my review for Captivated by You, one of the things that I talked about in that review is how I personally believe that when it comes to writing a book series, I think it’s very important that the author end each book in a way that’s satisfying, but also leaves the reader wanting more, in a good way, and feeling excited to read the next book in the series. I feel like Meyer has done a great job of ending each book in The Lunar Chronicles in such a way that has consistently been satisfying and has also left me feeling excited to read the next book in the series, and a big part of why I’ve always been excited to read the next book in the series is due to the fact that so far, each book has essentially ended with a cliffhanger. I’m definitely very excited to read Winter, especially given how this book ended, but before I read and review that book, I’ll be reading and reviewing Fairest next.

When it comes to having any complaints about this book, I honestly don’t have any complaints about this book specifically. However, as I was reading Cress, I did find myself thinking a lot about one complaint that I have regarding The Lunar Chronicles as a series. The main complaint that I have about the series in general at the moment is regarding the writing for Queen Levana. Personally, with the exception of Queen Levana, I feel like all of the characters in the series have had a certain amount of complexity and depth to them. Queen Levana, on the other hand, hasn’t really shown any hints of complexity, in my opinion. She’s pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil. I suppose it’s okay for a villain in a story to not show any hints of humanity and goodness within them, but that doesn’t make them a very compelling villain in most cases, as far as I’m concerned.

It was revealed that Queen Levana was involved with the creation of the Letumosis plague, with the intention of basically using it as a form of biological warfare. That definitely really surprised me, and I have to admit that seemed like somewhat of a dark plot twist. One thing that has definitely surprised me about The Lunar Chronicles is that for a YA book series, the series definitely takes somewhat of a dark or edgy turn at times. That being said, I have to admit that I’ve really come to like and appreciate that about The Lunar Chronicles.

Queen Levana was furious when the other characters kidnapped Kai before she and Kai were able to go through with the wedding towards the end of the book. However, it was obvious that she wasn’t upset because loves and cares about him and was concerned about his well being, because she doesn’t love or care about him. All she wants is power and to become Empress of the Eastern Commonwealth by marrying Kai. I’m really hoping that Levana will be fleshed out and further developed in Fairest so there can be a little bit more depth to the character. However, based on the reviews for Fairest that I’ve read on Amazon, it doesn’t sound like the book actually adds a lot of depth to the character, Levana, so I’m not getting my hopes up too high.

All things considered, Cress is a truly great book, and it’s definitely my favorite book in the Lunar Chronicles series at the moment. Cress is a very well written and likable character, and I really do love the relationship between Cress and Thorne. One of the things that I feel Marissa Meyer handled very well in this book was the overall pacing of the story. The story was also full of exciting subplots and action, so it never dragged or got boring, but at the same time, it never felt like the story was too rushed. While this book did end up being a story about an ensemble of characters like Scarlet was, I think Meyer did a much better job of not letting any of the other characters steal the spotlight away from Cress too much, since she’s the titular character of the book, or Thorne to a certain degree since he’s Cress’ love interest in the series, and he spends a large portion of the book with Cress. While I’m skeptical about how much I’ll actually end up liking Fairest, I’m still excited to read it, as well as Winter.

That being said, my final score for Cress is 11 out of 10, because I don’t think 10 out of 10 is a high enough score to adequately convey exactly how much I loved this book. :)

No comments :