Amazon Ad

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why on earth did I give Gossip Girl higher viewing priority over 90210? (My thoughts on the first 19 episodes of season 4 of 90210)

Between watching new episodes of most of my favorite TV shows live, on DVR, or on iTunes, I quickly fell behind on watching a lot of shows last season, namely Parenthood, House, Fringe, Grey's Anatomy, The Office and especially 90210. Somehow Gossip Girl ended up being one of the few shows that I always watched as soon as I downloaded it on iTunes the day after the episodes aired. Because I did that, I ended up having to suffer through Blair's idiotic and snooze fest of a relationship with Louis and a lot more of Chuck and Blair's sick and twisted relationship all in the hopes of seeing Dan and Blair get together. 

I'm currently in the process of watching season 4 of 90210, and at the moment I've watched up to episode 4x20 "Blue Ivy". Based on what I've seen so far, season 4 wasn't perfect, but in retrospect it was definitely a trillion times better than season 5 of Gossip Girl was. So far Naomi's storylines in season 4 have proven to only mildly entertaining. The whole rivalry between Naomi and Holly was incredibly stupid and lacked depth in my mind. For me, it had a major "been there, done that" feel to it, because I kept thinking about Juliet's whole vendetta against Serena in season 4 of Gossip Girl. That storyline actually had some depth to it in terms of why Juliet wanted to get revenge on Serena and was pretty well written in general. Juliet's whole vendetta against Serena was definitely one of my favorite things about season 4 of Gossip Girl, especially considering the fact that I've pretty much always hated Serena and Blake Lively as an actress. 

Bringing the focus of this post back to 90210, so far Ivy is the main thing that has brought down my level of enjoyment of season 4 every time Gillian Zinser is in a scene. Ivy is such a downer. Ugh! I'm still pretty upset about the fact that the writers kept Gillian on as a series regular for season 4, but made Trevor Donovan a guest star again. I'm so glad that Gillian Zinser isn't returning for season 5. Other than that, I've loved almost everything else about season 4 so far, especially Silver's, Liam's and Annie's storylines. I've also really enjoyed the relationship between Adrianna and Dixon so far.

That's probably one of the things that has surprised me the most about season 4 so far. Considering the fact that I really hated Adrianna at the end of season 3 for what she did to Silver, switching her bipolar medication with placebos after she realized that the reason Navid had broken up with her was because he wanted to be with Silver, I personally thought that Adrianna was beyond redemption after she did that. The fact that the writers also decided to keep Jessica Lowndes on as a series regular for season 4 after the writers basically assassinated the character Adrianna in season 3 instead of bringing Trevor Donovan back as a series regular also really pissed me off at first. However, I love how they handled keeping Adrianna around by having pretty much all of the characters give her the cold shoulder at first. Liam was probably the one character who was least hostile towards her at the beginning of season 4 considering the fact that he gave her a job as a waitress at his bar as a favor to Dixon. However, he quickly told her that their relationship was strictly a professional one; he didn't consider them friends at first. 

One of the things that I've liked the most about the season so far is that it revisited the fact that Adrianna had a baby girl named Maisy that she gave up for adoption back in season 1. One of the biggest complaints that I've always had about 90210 is that it has the tendency to suddenly drop storylines and never mention them again, so I'm glad that they didn't do that with the fact that Adrianna had a baby in season 1. They also mentioned it last season too, but since Rebecca Sinclair had been working for the show since about the seventh episode or so of season 1 and was still involved with the show last season, it didn’t completely shock me that they mentioned it last season. I was mostly surprised that they revisited it in more detail this season though since the show has two new show runners now. I wasn’t sure that they would think about that part of Adrianna’s background as a character. Plus, I love how initially brought Silver into the storyline first by having her start dating Greg, not knowing that he’s the adoptive father of Maisy. 

Also, I like how they acknowledged the existence of Navid's family and the fact that they also briefly brought Liam's mother back. That's something they haven't really done with the rest of the characters this season. It has really bugged me that they haven’t shown anyone’s parents, especially when it comes to Annie and Dixon. Annie and Dixon have had a lot of major problems to deal with this season that you would think their parents would come back to help them with, but the writers didn’t do that.

That's all I'm going to say about season 4 of 90210 for now, because I'm planning to write a post on the season as a whole once I finish watching it. I'm also going to write another post on my thoughts on the first four seasons of 90210 since the show has definitely had a very wild and chaotic run so far that I feel needs to be commented on. 

This upcoming fall season 5 of 90210 will be airing at 8/7 central on Monday nights with Gossip Girl airing after 90210 at 9/8 central on Mondays. If you’re like me, and you watch a lot of shows that air at the same time, then I would recommend that you watch 90210 live or at least as soon as you can, but put Gossip Girl towards bottom of the list of shows you watch first and which ones you save for later. If there's any moral to this story for me personally, it’s that 90210 deserves to be given higher viewing priority over Gossip Girl next season. Based on the spoilers and casting news for season 5 of 90210, it sounds like 90210 has the potential to be really good next season, while it sounds like it’s going to be more of the same old idiotic crap on Gossip Girl next season. I’m basically going to watch the last season simply of unjustified loyalty at this point.

No comments :