Amazon Ad

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Lunar Chronicles: Brace yourselves, Everybody! It’s time to explore the mind and past of Queen Levana (My thoughts on Fairest: Levana’s Story by Marissa Meyer)


http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lunarchronicles/images/c/c5/Fairest_Cover.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20140618102100

Right off the bat, I have to say that while I’ve absolutely loved the Lunar Chronicles so far, Fairest: Levana’s Story is definitely my least favorite book in the series. For the record, I still have to read Winter, so that opinion may change. As I said in my review for Cress, I was really hoping that this book would give Levana some depth and complexity, both as a villain and as a character in general. To be fair, I do think that this book gave Levana some complexity and depth, but unfortunately it didn’t give her too much of those things, which as a result, greatly hindered my enjoyment of Fairest.

The biggest problem that I have with Fairest is the fact that right from the beginning of the book, Levana comes across as being so self-centered, unlikable and evil that it was extremely hard for me to get emotionally invested in Levana as a character and care about her, or get invested in what was happening throughout the book. While the Lunar Chronicles series as a whole has made me think about the TV show Once Upon a Time a lot, as well as the show Grimm, since they’re both shows that involve reimagining fairy tales; Fairest reminded me a lot of the season one episode of Once Upon a Time, “The Stable Boy” where the backstory behind Regina’s hatred for Snow White was revealed. I pretty much had the same problems with this book as I did with that episode of Once Upon a Time. The reveal of what happened to make Regina hate Snow White so much ended up being incredibly disappointing, and it was honestly rather difficult to go along with the idea that Regina was justified in blaming Snow White for the death of Daniel, who was the man that she loved and wanted to marry when it was her mother, Cora, who had actually killed Daniel. While I wasn’t crazy about the explanation as to why Regina hated Snow White so much and wanted to get revenge on her, I was still able to have at least some sympathy for Regina. Plus, I thought that Regina had plenty of depth to her at that point in the series. Levana, on the other hand, lacks depth and is constantly acting so coldhearted, self-centered and flat-out evil throughout the book, that the reader is never really given a chance to feel all that sorry for Levana or truly like her.

I get that Levana’s sister, Channary, was physically and emotionally abusive towards her and is responsible for the scars that she has on her face, but that doesn’t automatically mean that the reader is going to feel sympathetic towards Levana; because the things that Levana does in this book that don’t involve Channary in any way are pretty horrible. I can’t help but wonder if Meyer was trying to portray Levana as a sympathetic villain in this book. However, the thing I think people need to remember is that there’s a big difference between a character having a sympathetic backstory and actually being a sympathetic character. 



Throughout the entire book, Levana repeatedly thinks and acts in a very self-serving and evil manner, especially when it comes to her relationship with Evret. After all, for years she refused to let Evret see what she really looked like without all of her glamours, and in the end she wasn’t all that genuinely loving towards him, in my opinion. I honestly didn’t feel all that bad for her when Evret told her that he had pretty much only agreed to marry her because he didn’t think that she would take “No” for an answer. I think Evret was probably right about that. After seeing/reading about everything that Levana did and thought throughout Fairest, I think it’s pretty safe to say that she most likely wouldn’t have taken “No” for an answer. I also didn’t feel all that bad for her when Evret told her that he had given her the gifts that she had always treasured pretty much out of sympathy, rather than love for her. Plus, it had apparently been his dead wife, Solstice’s, idea to give Levana one of those gifts before she had died.

Personally, I feel like Levana really came across as being driven by a very twisted desperation to be loved in this book, which I think could have been interesting, if Meyer had handled it better and Levana’s desperation to be loved wasn’t so twisted and evil. Unfortunately, all of the bad things that Levana did in this book ultimately outweigh any good or redeeming qualities and actions that she did. As far I’m concerned, the fact that Levana plotted to kill Selene/Cinder when she was just a baby by setting her nursery on fire just so she could be the heir to the Lunar throne was especially evil on her part. If I’m being honest, I can’t really think of any truly redeeming moment from the book that isn’t somehow tainted and makes Levana a character that the reader could actually like. Honestly, Levana is so lacking depth that I can’t even describe her as the kind of character that I love to hate.

I mention that because whenever there were moments where Levana showed some vulnerability and hints of being a good person, they were always quickly ruined by Levana doing, thinking or saying something evil and mean-spirited. I get that Levana is supposed to be a villain, and this book is pretty much all about how she became the villain that she is in the main series, but that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for somebody to write a book where the protagonist is a villain, and yet the reader is still able to like them. A good example of this would be the Descendants novel, The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz, which is about the children of various Disney villains. Since their parents are villains, the kids start out at the beginning of the book thinking and acting the way you would probably expect villains to act, but throughout the book they all became friends with each other in their own weird way. I was still able to like all of the characters and enjoy The Isle of the Lost despite the fact that it was clear throughout the book that they were raised to be villains like their parents. Sure, it might not necessarily be easy for a writer to write a book where the protagonist is also the villain in the story and the reader is still meant to like the protagonist, but I know it can be done. Unfortunately, as far as I’m concerned, Meyer failed to do that with this book.

This will probably seem like a really odd and random book to compare Fairest to, but as I was reading this book and thinking about how it impacted the way I felt about Levana, I couldn’t help but think about the book, Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian, and how that book impacted the way that I look at Christian Grey as a character. As I was reading that book, there were honestly times where Christian didn’t seem like such a bad guy, and I actually kind of liked him. Unfortunately, whenever that happened, E.L. James would always shoot herself in the foot and ruin those moments very quickly by having Christian think something that was rather creepy, or something that was rather elitist and rude. Given how often E.L. James shot herself in the foot by ruining moments where Christian kind of seemed likable throughout Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian, I’m really surprised that she didn’t have to have both of her feet amputated.

As unlikable of a person as I think Ana Steele from the Fifty Shades books is, Ana’s annoying and idiotic behavior actually makes the books kind of fun to read. A part of that is because E.L. James’ writing for the books is so bad that they’re like an all you can eat buffet of material to make snarky comments about, and to be fair, Ana did actually come across as being kind of likable in Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian. Putting my disappointment with Fairest aside, I think that Marissa Meyer is a really talented writer, so I can’t bring myself to mock the hell out of this book.

While I didn’t like this book very much at all, one thing that I did like about Fairest is that we got to see the origins of various things that have played a huge role in the series. For example, the development of the Letumosis plague, and the creation of Levana’s genetically-modified army that Wolf ended up becoming a part of were both mentioned in the book. For that reason, I’d say that Fairest is definitely still worth reading.

All things considered, as much as I hate to say it, Fairest: Levana’s Story is definitely the worst out of all the Lunar Chronicles books that I’ve read at this point in time. This book’s biggest problem is that while it does expand on Levana’s backstory, it doesn’t add very much depth to the writing for Levana. Because Levana is seriously lacking depth and complexity, both as a villain and as a character in general, I don’t think that she’s a very interesting villain. The fact that she also lacks any genuinely redeeming qualities made it very challenging for me to become truly interested and invested in this book. Not being able to become truly invested in a story and its characters is definitely a very bad thing to have happen when it comes to any book.

That being said, my final score for Fairest: Levana’s Story is 3 out of 10.

No comments :