Amazon Ad

Friday, March 18, 2011

Modern Family: An old station wagon used as a time machine and a princess castle gets built


I’m going through the process of watching the episodes again, so I can do thought posts on all of the season two episodes of Modern Family. Although, I’ve already watched every episode of season two that’s aired so far a lot more than two times, lol. That being said, here are my thoughts on the season two premiere “The Old Wagon”.


I have to say that I absolutely loved this episode. It wasn’t the best episode ever of Modern Family, but it was still definitely an excellent episode. The two main highlights of the episode were definitely the storyline with Phil and Claire getting ready to sell their old station wagon and then deciding to take the family for one last drive in their old station wagon. Phil had so many hilarious lines in this episode. Here are some of my favorites:


  • “You know what? You can insult a lot of things about me: My hair, my voice, my balance board exercises, but don’t insult my selling. That crosses a line. What line? Oh, you don’t see it? That’s ‘cause I just sold it!”

  • “Guess what? You said I couldn’t sell this? Well, you’re going to be eating a humble pie stuffed with crow and a big side of sorry, ‘cause I just did! In your face, girl with a negative tattoo!” ~ To Claire after he gets off the phone from talking to someone about selling their old station wagon.

  • To Claire ~ “Don’t apologize, I love you when you’re human.”

  • To Claire ~ “Honey, until somebody can figure out how to keep a wormhole from collapsing in on itself, that’s just a pipedream.”

  • “I’m just being realistic, but we’re going to need to lower the asking price” ~ (After the old station wagon fell down the hill)

Some of my other favorite lines are:

  • “I’m petrified to do this with Mitchell. He built a couple of theater sets in college or something, and now he thinks he knows everything about building. Well, he doesn’t. Every home improvement project that we’ve undertaken has been a near-death experience. If an accident does happen, I hope he kills me, because I don’t think I would be a very inspiring disabled person.” ~ Cameron

  • “My culture, mothers are very clingy to their sons. If fact, the leading cause of death among Columbian women is when their sons get married, but I’m not like that. I just want my Manny to be happy.” ~ Gloria

  • “Yeah, I used to throw up all the time. Remember buckety?” ~ Luke

  • “I’m just letting you know now, I’m not taking care of him when you guys die.” ~Alex talking to Claire and Phil about Luke

  • “That was my Vietnam, and I was in Vietnam” ~ Jay talking about the time he built a bookshelf with Mitchell

  • “It was delicious” ~ Gloria in a couch interview after she just told Manny and the girl he liked that she didn’t like the chocolate milk with salt in it.

  • “My great-great grandfather helped build the Brooklyn bridge, and I heard that until the day he died every time he passed, it was filled with such pride, he’d say ‘There’s a little bit of me in that bridge.’ I know that I’m not the handiest guy, but I’m still a man, and I want to be able to look out into my yard and say, ‘There’s a little bit of me in that princess castle.’” ~ Mitchell in a couch interview talking about building the princess castle

  • “Yes, Mitchell did it! Who’s the bitch now, bitches!” ~Mitchell

  • “Okay, sue me! I am a Columbian mother. I’m not going to let him make a mistake that’s going to effect him for the rest of my life!” (Pauses) “His life!” ~ Gloria in a couch interview talking about Manny liking Kelly

  • “What’s the plan, Phil?!” ~ Claire, as Phil hangs onto the hood of their old station wagon as it rolls down the hill toward the cliff

  • “I know the drill. Don’t carry me out this time, I think it sends the wrong message to Lily” ~ Mitchell after he gets stuck in the princess castle and asks him to help get him get out of it.

I loved the part where Phil, Claire, Hailey, Alex and Luke were all in their old station on the old hill, taking it for one last ride before they sell it. The whole thing was a complete disaster for them, but it was beyond hilarious. I especially loved how Hailey kept accidently tugging on Phil’s seatbelt and hurting him. This whole storyline with them getting their old station wagon ready to be sold was definitely my favorite storyline of the episode. I also thought that this storyline was the funniest storyline of the episode. Pretty much everyone in the Dunphy family had at least one really funny line. Phil definitely had the most lines that I found absolutely hilarious with this storyline though.


My second favorite storyline was definitely Mitchell, Cameron and Jay building the princess castle for Lily. It was really fun seeing Jay and Cameron have a lot of one-on-one interaction in this episode. They are always really fun to watch together. I hope that the writers will have a lot more one-on-one between Jay and Cameron in the future. I thought that Mitchell also had quite a few lines and moments that were absolutely hilarious with this storyline.


The whole storyline with Gloria being jealous about Manny spending time with his new girlfriend was definitely my least favorite storyline of the episode. I thought that Gloria had some pretty funny lines and moments in this episode, but this storyline still fell flat with me.


All in all, while I don’t think that this was the best episode ever of Modern Family, but I loved this episode an awful lot, so I give this episode a rating of an A-.

No comments :