Amazon Ad

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Modern Family: Claire wants everybody to suck it (My thoughts on episode 3x02 When Good Kids Go Bad)


I’m in the process of slowly getting caught up on writing all of my thoughts posts that I need to write, and I’ve been in the mood to watch this episode again, so I decided to get back to writing my thoughts posts for the season three episodes of Modern Family. Anyway here are my thoughts on the episode.

All in all, I absolutely loved this episode, I’m not sure, but I think might love this episode even more than the season premiere, and I loved, loved, loved the season premiere. :)

One thing that I loved the most about this episode that it really showcased one of Claire and Cameron’s biggest personality traits as characters: Claire’s obsessive need to be right about something and how clingy Cameron is when it comes to taking care of Lily.

I can’t believe the lengths that Claire went to just to prove that she was right about Phil bumping her with their shopping cart and pushing her into a display of cans at the supermarket while he was talking to another woman. Claire has always had an obsessive need for people to think that she’s right about something, but she took it to a whole new level in this episode. I thought it was pretty sick for Claire to think that going to the grocery store to get the address of the off-site surveillance company, filling out some paperwork that the company sent to corporate, buying some DVDs to record the security footage at the supermarket on to show the family in order to prove that she was right was all “easy as cake” to do, but at the same time the fact that she thought the whole thing was no trouble at all was pretty funny. Besides, Claire wouldn’t be Claire if she weren’t that obsessive about things.

I love that the writers ended up tying Claire’s obsessive need to be right about things back to Mitchell and Cameron’s storyline where they were dealing with Lily being upset about them adopting another child and the storyline with Jay, Gloria and Manny where Jay was trying to figure out what Gloria and Manny were hiding and was trying to get Manny to confess to stealing a locket that belonged to a girl that he went to school with.

In the end, they basically revealed that Lily’s anger about them adopting another stemmed more from Mitchell being bad about sharing things with Cameron, which she had apparently witnessed many incidents in which he wouldn’t share things with Cameron, than it stemmed from Cameron coddling Lily so much.

They also revealed that Claire’s obsessive need to be right comes from Jay when they saw how happy he was and how screamed “I was right! I was right! I was right!” when Manny finally confessed to stealing the girls locket in front of the entire family. I have to say that I love how all of these things unfolded and came together in front of the whole family at the end of the episode. I’m not surprised that Claire’s obsessive need to be right comes from Jay, because he’s definitely always had a need to be right about things. Although, I don’t think it’s nearly as bad with him as it is with Claire.

I really liked the little subplot that they had with Luke deciding to move into the attic and how thinks he manipulated Alex and Hailey into letting him have the attic. They also tied the whole thing with Claire thinking she always needs to be right with Luke’s decision to move into the attic. She didn’t think that Luke would be able to handle sleeping in the attic without getting scared, and in the end she was right about that.

I have to say that I’m loving Nolan Gould and his portrayal of Luke so far this season, not just in the first two episodes of season three, but all of the other episodes that have aired so far as well. I’m so glad that the writers started giving the chance to shine on the show last season and that they are continuing to give him some pretty good moments so far this season too.

If you ask me, this episode shows why Julie Bowen deserved to win the Emmy for best supporting actress in a comedy series this year, and I think that Julie should submit this episode for the Emmy’s next year.

Here are some of my favorite lines from the episode:

Phil at the grocery store with Claire.

Phil- (Singing)  Trapped in between two whole wheat slices, pastrami and Swiss are my only vices!

***

Mitchell and Cameron doing a couch interview about Lily not wanting to have a new brother or sister.

Mitchell-We are having a slight issue getting Lily on board with the adoption. (Quoting Lily) I hate the baby!
Cameron- (Quoting Lily) No new baby!
Mitchell- (Quoting Lily) I wanna make the baby dead.
Cameron- (To Mitchell) I thought we weren’t gonna to share that one.

***

Luke doing a couch interview about Alex and Hailey wanting to have their own rooms and how he wants to move into the attic.

Luke-I’m not an idiot. I knew what they were up to, but I’ve been wanting to move for a while. There’s a line of ants going to a trick-or-treat bag in my closet, and I don’t want to still be there when they get tired of candy.

***

Lily talking about Mitchell and Cameron adopting another baby.
Lily-Kill new baby.

***

Phil looking down at Claire from the attic.

Phil-I don’t know, Claire. It’s got a lot of potential. This is a lot nicer than the attic I lived in when we met.

***

Claire- (To Hailey) Sweetheart, I would love to be wrong. I just don’t live with the right people for that.
Phil-Let it go, kids. She’s not gonna budge. Kept me up all night with the—
Claire- (To Phil) Phil, you did push me!
Phil-Your word against mine. Guess it’s one of those things we’ll just never know, like what really happened to the Titanic.
Claire-It hit an iceberg.
Phil-Maybe.
Claire-Mm, there’s no maybe.
Phil-Oh, you’re right, Claire.
Hailey-Again.
Luke- (Sarcastically) Surprise, surprise.
Claire- (Defensively) Okay, I-I will see you over at Uncle Mitchell’s, I’m gonna skip this meeting of the pile-on Claire club.

Claire walks off.

Phil- (Jokingly, under his breath) Guess I pushed her into that pile, too.

Alex and Hailey laugh.

***

Jay-I spend half my life waiting on you. How many times do you have to change your outfit?
Manny-Sorry, Jay. Too many choices is a prison.
Gloria-Just drive before he rethinks the pants.
Manny- (Panicking) What’s wrong with my pants?!
Gloria- (Quickly) Go. Go. Go.

***

Cameron talking about Lily’s outfit after he sees the way that she’s dressed herself.

Cameron- She looks like she was dipped in glue and dragged through a flea market.

***

Luke talking to Mitchell and Cameron.

Luke- Hey, do you guys have any old furniture? I’m moving into the attic.
Mitchell- The attic?
Luke- Hey, at least it’s big. Grandpa said you used to live in the closet.
Cameron- Oh. Okay. Well, you know what? Yeah, we’ll  absolutely find you something for sure. Okay?

Lily walks up to Luke and shoves him.

Lily- My daddy!
Mitchell-Lily, no! I-I’m sorry, Luke.
Luke- (Walking away and giving Lily the evil eye) This isn’t over.

***

Cameron-Okay, how’s everybody on drinks?
Gloria-If this is Alex’s graduation again, just leave me the bottle.

***

Claire- What? None of you believed me, so I got proof. You should all be sucking it right now.
Gloria- Hey, please stop with the “Sucking it,” Claire. The children!

***

After Cameron and Mitchell have accidentally announced to the family that they are trying to adopt another baby and Cameron has started playing the song Let’s Hear It For The Boy on the stereo while he tries to light some sparklers.

Jay- What the hell’s happening here?
Phil- (Cheerfully) Is that from Footloose?

***

Jay- (To Mitchell) Oh, stop blaming each other. No kid wants a sibling. I mean, Claire hated you so much she stuck you in a dryer when you were two.
Mitchell- (To Claire) You put me in the dryer?
Claire- I did, but it wasn’t ‘cause I hated you. My friend Marci said that it wouldn’t run with a kid inside it, and I knew it would. I was right.
Phil- Good governor. It’s been going on since you were five?
Claire- Oh, my god. It is a sickness.
Phil- Yeah.
Claire- What would make me have that need at such a young age?
Mitchell- How long was I in that dryer? Because I—Is this why I’m afraid of tumbling? I had to quit gymnastics, Claire!
Phil- A childhood without tumbling?
Claire- Ooh.
Phil- (To Jay, getting choked up) You knew this and just stood by and did nothing?!

***

Here are a few more things that I liked about this episode:

  • I love that Cameron wanted to tell the family that they are trying to adopt another baby the same way he announced that they had adopted Lily in the pilot. The fact that he had the song Let’s Hear It For The Boy playing in the background with a sign that said “It’s gonna be a boy” was absolutely priceless. :)

  •  I don’t why, but I think the way that Phil peeked down from the attic when he was talking to Claire was hilarious. For some reason, I also thought it was funny that Phil said that he was living in an attic when he met Claire. I’m not sure why though.

  • I loved the brief interaction between Phil and Lily when Claire was telling Lily that she was holding up the wrong number of fingers. I thought that was pretty funny. The new actress playing Lily sure does talk a lot. Lily used to almost never talk when she was played by twins.

  • I love the way Jay shined the light on Manny when they were in the garage. It looked like he was a cop who was interrogating someone.

  • I thought the clips where they showed how clingy Cameron was with Lily and the clips of Mitchell not wanting to share his things were hilarious. :)

All in all, I have to say that I absolutely loved this episode. It had a lot of hilarious lines, and I think that Julie Bowen really shined in this episode. Like I said, I definitely think she needs to submit this episode for the Emmy’s next year.

All things considered, I give this episode a rating of an A+.



No comments :