Amazon Ad

Monday, August 4, 2014

Major Crimes: Hang on, Everybody! The team is about to enter the world of ratings-challenged TV shows, self-absorbed actors, bad fan fiction and psycho super fans (My thoughts on episode 3x08 “Cutting Loose”)



I started watching Major Crimes this season, and while I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the entire season, this is definitely my favorite episode of the season. While most of the episodes have been pretty dramatic and intense this season, this was definitely the most lighthearted episode of the season. That was definitely one of the things that made me enjoy it so much. It was definitely different from a lot of the episodes of Major Crimes that I’ve seen at this point, but I think it was different in a good way.

The case that the team was working on this week involved the murder of a woman named Zelda Lambert, the long-time stalker of a famous TV star, Jonny Worth, who was played by Luke Perry. Right off the bat, I have to say that one of the greatest strengths of this episode was definitely Luke Perry’s portrayal of Jonny. Jonny was incredibly vain, shallow and self-absorbed, and Perry played that quite well. TVLine gave Luke Perry an honorable mention for his performance in this week’s “Performers of the Week” column (Lizzy Caplan & Michael Sheen: Performance in Masters of Sex ‘Fight’ Episode | TVLine), and I definitely think that it was well deserved. Whether he was taking a selfie next to a picture of himself as he was standing next to a picture of himself that was hanging on what he referred to as “the murder board”, which was the board that the team was hanging all of the evidence and writing all the facts pertaining to the case on, or interacting with Rusty, who he initially believed was someone who worked undercover for the bureau, Perry stole every scene he was in.

Due to the fact that Jonny is a famous actor, the team had to be careful with how they handled the situation, otherwise he could “lawyer up” as Raydor explained to Rusty at one point in the episode. Fortunately for Jonny, he was ruled out as a suspect pretty early on in the episode and helped the team as they worked on the case throughout the rest of the episode. One of the many recurring bits in the episode was Provenza’s repeated insistence that Zelda’s husband had to be the person that killed her, saying that “It’s always the husband”. Provenza’s repeated insistence that Zelda’s husband had to be her killer really seemed to annoy everybody, and Raydor pointed out that if he always guessed that it was the husband who killed their wives, he was bound to be right every now and then.

Things didn’t look good for Jonny at first though due to the fact that he apparently had a long history of being stalked by Zelda to the point where he had to file multiple restraining orders against her and Zelda’s dead body was found in a storage container that belonged to him. It was quickly established that Zelda had apparently had a lot of psychological issues though, and she even had spent some time at a psychiatric facility at one point in her life. Due to Zelda’s psychiatric issues, her husband didn’t even bother reporting the fact that she had supposedly gone missing for several days, mainly because she apparently had a history of going off on her own for days at a time, only to come back. This is something that only served to fuel Provenza’s repeated insistence that Zelda’s husband was the one who killed her.



Having watched the episode several times now, as far as I’m concerned, Provenza had pretty good reason to assume that it was her husband since she apparently had a lot of mental health issues and was totally obsessed with Jonny to the point where she was writing bad fan fiction about him, had multiple restraining orders filed against her by Jonny, and they were in a lot of debt financially because she had spent so much money on memorabilia related to Jonny. I think that would be enough to drive just about anybody to kill their spouse under the right conditions.

One of the many other things that I particularly enjoyed about this episode is the fact that the team had somewhat of a personal connection to case due to the fact that Tao had a side-job, working as a consultant for the crime solving show that Jonny was starring on, Badge of Justice. Tao explained that since he and his wife currently have all three of their kids in college at the same time, the consulting job was really helping them out financially. The fact that Tao had gotten a consulting job working for a TV show was something that Flynn became somewhat fixated on throughout the episode, namely wanting to know how much Tao got paid for the job, much to Provenza’s irritation. Although, now that I think about it, Provenza shouldn’t have been too frustrated with Flynn since he was really fixated on the idea that it’s always the husband who kills their wives throughout this episode. Unfortunately for both Jonny and Tao, the show had been struggling in the ratings and was considered to be “on the bubble”. Just in case anybody reading this doesn’t know what that means, a bubble show is basically a TV show with ratings that are at a level where it’s fate could go either way, it could either be renewed or it could be canceled.

Badge of Justice’s ratings woes led to a number of what I would consider in-jokes in the world of TV shows that reminded me of a lot things that I’ve heard people criticize various TV shows for over the years. According to Morales, Badge of Justice’s portrayal of what a morgue is like is very unrealistic, and he apparently felt like the show’s ratings woes should be blamed on the lack of a realistic portrayal of the way the crime solving process works. The realism of crime solving shows is definitely an example of something that I’ve heard a lot of people complain about over the years when it comes to people complaining about TV shows.

There was also a subplot in the episode involving the fact that Rusty had graduated from high school, but he wasn’t really in the mood to have a graduation party or do anything to celebrate his graduation. When Raydor suggested that he invite some of the kids from his school that he liked for a small get-together, Rusty mentioned that none of his classmates had invited him to their graduation parties and that to him, walking out of his school for the last time knowing that he wouldn’t have to see any of them ever again was his celebration. Raydor was bothered by Rusty’s lack of a celebratory attitude, saying that she found it hard to believe that nobody would want to invite him to their graduation party or that nobody would want to come if he had a party and invited them.

If I didn’t know otherwise, I would have guessed that Rusty was Raydor’s biological son given the way she gushed over him in this episode like he was her own one of a kind special snowflake. Don’t get me wrong, I like Rusty, but it always annoys me when parents gush over their children to nauseating degrees and then get mad when other people don’t think that their child is as special and as unique as they do. Since it’s their child, naturally they are going to think very highly of their children and view them as their greatest pride and enjoy, but they are obviously going to be bias towards their own children.

I can definitely understand where Rusty was coming from though. I was bullied a lot in high school due to the fact that I’m attracted to men. Although, I didn’t identify as being bisexual back then like I do now. Since I was bullied by a lot of my classmates, like Rusty, I couldn’t wait to graduate from high school and when it came to most of my classmates, I didn’t really care if I never saw them again once I graduated. I’ve also never been a fan of big parties, mainly because I don’t like being in really noisy places where you can’t hear people very well since I wear hearing aids and I’m just a person who would rather have a fairly small and intimate gathering where I invite the people that I’m fairly close to and consider to be fairly important to me instead of having a huge party where I invite what feels like a gazillion people that I barely get to talk to when they come to my party. When I graduated from high school, I had my graduation party at a Cold Stone Creamery and I only invited a few of my closest friends and the teachers that I viewed as being the most important to me. My parents paid for all of my guests to have a dish of ice cream, and I have very happy memories of my graduation party to this day, but I digress.

Raydor’s frustration over Rusty not wanting to celebrate his high school graduation also came into play and she found out that Julio Sanchez had returned to work after being injured and the team hadn’t really done anything to acknowledge his return. I have to say that was one of my favorite scenes of the episode, especially when Provenza pointed out that they did send him flowers and that he would be receiving a medal and would be seeing a psychiatrist to talk about the whole thing.

This episode really did have a lot of moments that were genuinely funny, especially when it came to how all of the women were fawning over Jonny and commenting on how good he looked throughout the episode. I found that especially amusing.

In the end, Provenza was right; Zelda’s husband was the one who killed Zelda. The team managed to coax a confession out of him with Jonny’s help by having him tell Zelda’s husband that he had once been romantically involved with Zelda. Honestly, I was actually surprised that Zelda’s husband was the one who killed her. Maybe I’m alone in thinking this, but when I was watching this episode for the first time, I was expecting Zelda’s killer to end up being Jonny’s assistant, Kiki. There was just something about Kiki and how she was always so wrapped up in texting on her cell phone that made me think that she would turn out to be psychotic or something and that she would end up being revealed to be Zelda’s killer. When I was watching this episode for the first time, the fact that she went to Mexico in order to take care of something for Jonny is something that I originally thought the writer of this episode would utilize to create drama and suspense once the team figured out that Kiki killed Zelda, but obviously the writer of this episode didn’t go that route. I may have been wrong about who Zelda’s killer was, but I suppose it’s always a good thing to be surprised when it comes to the outcome of a mystery. Whether it’s a book, TV show or a movie, the mystery genre is one genre where you definitely don’t want the ending to be predictable.

It turns out that once word got out that Jonny was working with the police to help solve the mystery of Zelda’s murder, online streaming for Badge of Justice reached an all-time high. This was good news for Jonny, Tao and Tao’s bank account, because apparently that meant that Badge of Justice was no longer in danger of being cancelled. This was probably the only aspect of the episode that bugged me, but I would say that it’s a pretty minor complaint. Personally, I thought that was a little ridiculous, because anybody who follows the ratings for TV shows or knows anything about the Nielsen ratings system and how it factors into network executives’ decisions about canceling or renewing shows in the real world should know that online viewership for TV shows typically makes little if any difference when it comes to deciding a show’s fate. Although, I know that the CW has cited online viewership and high DVR numbers as factors in their reasoning for renewing ratings challenged shows in the past, so I suppose it’s not entirely unheard of, and it allows the episode to have a happy ending for Tao and Jonny, so I’ll let that slide.

Jonny also congratulated Rusty on graduating high school on live TV and presented the team with a check for a charitable organization that they work with and to pay them for “the murder board”, which he wanted to buy. The episode ended with the team having a small party with Jonny to celebrate Rusty’s graduation, and Rusty admitted to Raydor that he was enjoying his party and she joked that she never gets tired of being right. One thing that I liked about the last scene of the episode was the fact that they played the song “We Are the Love We Give” by Imaginary Friend in the background during that scene. People who watched the short-lived online revival of All My Children might recognize that song as the song they used for the show’s theme song for the duration of the show’s revival. I love that song, so I love that they featured it in this episode.

All things considered, this truly is my favorite episode of the season at this point. I found both the case of the week and the subplot involving Rusty graduating from high school highly entertaining. This episode had a great blend of drama and humor, and Luke Perry really shined in the role of Jonny Worth. I really got the sense that all of the actors that appeared in this episode had a lot of fun filming this episode, and if that was indeed the case, that’s always great to see on a TV show. This episode truly was a major win for the show.

That being said, my final score for this episode is 10 out of 10.

No comments :