Amazon Ad

Friday, April 5, 2019

Book Review: A Court of Frost and Starlight (Book #3.1 in the A Court of Thorns and Roses Saga) by Sarah J. Maas (Spoiler Review)




Right off the bat, I have to admit that I went into reading A Court of Frost and Starlight with fairly low expectations, mainly because I found A Court of Wings and Ruin to be rather frustrating and disappointing in a lot of ways; and yet I was ultimately still incredibly disappointed by this book.

When it comes to books that I either have mixed feelings about, or books that I simply don’t like, I usually try my best to keep my reviews balanced and fair when it comes to discussing what I like about the book, and what I don’t like about it. Unfortunately, Sarah J. Maas didn’t really give me very much to work with when it comes to having positive things to say about A Court of Frost and Starlight. After all, you can’t build a big, extravagant sandcastle with just one cup of sand that somebody peed in. That being said, the biggest problem that I have with A Court of Frost and Starlight is the fact that the book honestly doesn’t really have a solid plot to it. Much like Seinfeld has always been described as being, “A show about nothing,” I would describe A Court of Frost and Starlight as being a book about nothing; because this book doesn’t really have much of a solid, concrete plot.

Prior to A Court of Frost and Starlight’s release, the information that was given about the book led me to believe that this book was basically meant to be an interlude and bridge the gap between the events that took place in A Court of Wings and Ruin, and set things up for the upcoming full-length novels in the series; which will focus on characters other than Feyre and Rhysand. However, there’s pretty much nothing that happens in A Court of Frost and Starlight that sets things up for the upcoming full-length novels in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series; aside from the fact that there’s an excerpt from the next book in the series at the end of the book, which I’ll briefly comment on at the end of this review. The fact that there’s nothing that happens in A Court of Frost and Starlight itself that appears to set anything up for future full-length novels in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series makes me feel like this book doesn’t even need to exist. As far as I’m concerned, this book is nothing more than an unnecessary, cash grab since the excerpt from the next full-length book in the series is honestly the only thing in this book that sets things up for future books in the series. I suppose I could end up being proven wrong once I read the next book in the series when it’s released; but for now, I just feel like this book fails to serve as genuine setup for upcoming books in the series. That really made reading this book feel like an unnecessary waste of time, as far as I’m concerned.



Honestly, I think that a much more fitting title for this book would be A Court of Eye Rolling and Vomiting, because there are so many things about this book that were absolutely frustrating and annoying, that I just couldn’t help but constantly roll my eyes at and frequently groan in frustration. Plus, the numerous romantic scenes between Feyre and Rhysand were more nauseating and gross than they were steamy and romantic. In addition to the incredibly ridiculous Feyre and Rhysand sex scene in chapter two where they had sex as they were flying over the city of Velaris, I also found the fact that Rhysand immediately had an orgasm when Feyre used the telepathic bond between them to project the mental image of their future child into his mind when they were once again having sex later on in the book beyond gross and disturbing. That’s not romantic or sexy. It’s just so messed up and disturbing in so many ways. I really wish that I had had a bucket handy to throw up in when I got to that particular part of the book.

The closest thing that this book has to a plot would be that throughout the book, Feyre, Rhysand, and all of the other characters are getting ready to celebrate the Winter solstice, which is basically the series’ equivalent of Christmas, and the Winter solstice also happens to be Feyre’s birthday. The fact that this book revolved around the characters getting ready to celebrate the Winter solstice really made this book feel like the A Court of Thorns and Roses equivalent of a Christmas special, and a rather crappy Christmas special at that; so I definitely think that it’s pretty odd that this book was released at the beginning of May. Maybe A Court of Frost and Starlight was released in May because the publisher wanted to stick with the pattern of having one of Sarah J. Maas’ books being released in May, but regardless, I still think it’s rather odd that this book was released in May when it’s basically a Christmas special.

I also found it incredibly frustrating that none of the characters really undergo any character development throughout the course of A Court of Frost and Starlight. The closest thing that Feyre has to a character arc in this book is the fact that it’s established at the beginning of the book that Feyre hadn’t done any painting since the war ended in A Court of Wings and Ruin. By the end of the book, Feyre is not only inspired to start painting again, she also opens an art school for children. Other than that, I felt like Feyre spent most of A Court of Frost and Starlight acting as if she were a member of the cast of The Real Housewives of Prythian, which really frustrated me because she was acting pretty much exactly like the kind of person she had been terrified of becoming if she married Tamlin in ***A Court of Mist and Fury***; and yet she didn’t seem to be all that upset about the fact that Rhysand was basically treating her like a housewife that he could have sex with whenever he wanted. Feyre even jokes that she’s “High Lady of the Desk” at one point in the book, which I admittedly thought was kind of amusing, but I also thought that it was kind of sad that she called herself that, too.

Seeing the way Feyre acted in this book really left me thinking now more than ever before that Feyre developing cold feet about marrying Tamlin in A Court of Mist and Fury, and Tamlin becoming incredibly unlikable in that book was all simply Maas’ way of trying to prop Rhysand up as a love interest for Feyre, and to get readers to root for Feyre and Rhysand to become a couple in A Court of Mist and Fury. As far as I’m concerned, if Maas wanted to have Feyre and Tamlin break up, and for Feyre and Rhysand to be become a couple in A Court of Mist and Fury, that’s fine. I still think that Maas could have handled the disintegration of Feyre and Tamlin’s relationship, and Feyre and Rhysand getting together in A Court of Mist and Fury in a much more organic way. It just really frustrates me that Maas pretty much seemed to rely entirely on ruining Tamlin as a character, and having Feyre get cold feet about marrying Tamlin in order to make Feyre and Rhysand getting together “work” from a storytelling standpoint.

When it comes Feyre basically acting like she’s a cast member on The Real Housewives of Prythian, I thought it was really annoying that Feyre constantly refers to herself as “High Lady of the Night Court” throughout this book. Plus, I thought it was incredibly annoying how both she and Rhysand frequently mention how they have a lot of money throughout this book. It especially bugged me that Feyre expressed a lot of guilt over how much money she and Rhysand have, when there are so many people out there in the world that are a lot less fortunate than they are; and yet the way she, and Rhysand to a certain extent, do use their money to help other people, is basically the equivalent of Feyre volunteering at a homeless shelter. It’s also mentioned that because Rhysand is so powerful, he apparently needs to periodically offload some of his power, otherwise he becomes overloaded with power. If that’s actually the case, why don’t she and Rhysand use some of Rhysand’s power to magically conjure up some houses for homeless people? (Groans in frustration)

One recurring thought that I had about this book as I was reading it was that a big part of why I found the fact that A Court of Frost and Starlight lacked a solid plot so frustrating and disappointing is due to the fact that the Christmas and Halloween episodes of Power Rangers have a more solid plot to them than this book does, and the last six Christmas and Halloween episodes of Power Rangers have all been clip shows. That’s just…sad.

Aside from the fact that I found A Court of Wings and Ruin rather frustrating in a variety of ways, one of the reasons why I went into reading A Court of Frost and Starlight with pretty low expectations is because while I know a lot of people absolutely love Feyre and Rhysand as a couple, I personally am not all that big of a fan of their relationship at this point. For the record, I did think that the budding romance between Feyre and Rhysand was definitely one of the best things about A Court of Mist and Fury. However, I found the writing for Feyre and Rhysand’s relationship rather frustrating and shallow in A Court of Wings and Ruin to the point where I had a very difficult time rooting for them as a couple; and I felt like the writing for their relationship was even worse in this book. Plus, I honestly didn’t like Rhysand very much at all in this book either. Rhysand is supposed to be 500 years old, and yet he constantly acts like a teenage boy who’s deep in the heart of the puberty.

I feel like Rhysand acted especially immature in the flashback scene that was featured in chapter two where he was thinking about a time when he and Feyre had been flying over the city of Velaris, and he was apparently so excited to have sex with Feyre, that instead of waiting until they got home to have sex with her, he decided to just have sex with her as they were flying over the city. This scene is quite possibly the most ridiculous sex scene that I’ve ever encountered on a TV show, in a movie, or in this case, a book. I have to admit that the part of me that has the tendency to fixate on the stupidest things has definitely spent way too much time thinking about how ridiculously bad this particular scene in the book is. In the interest of being fair to Sarah J. Maas, I’ll give her credit for at least having Rhysand acknowledge that having sex with Feyre while they were flying over the city of Velaris required a lot of planning and thought on his part. That being said, the snarky part of me can’t help but wonder how Feyre and Rhysand were able to have sex while they were flying in the air without getting so swept up in what they’re doing that they got distracted, causing them to fall to the ground, and crash through the sunroof of somebody’s mansion; since Velaris is apparently a city that a lot of wealthy people live in.

Aside from that incredibly ridiculous sex scene, there are quite a few other dry heave inducing romantic scenes between Feyre and Rhysand throughout the book; which honestly made me hate them as a couple more and more as the book progressed. For example, at one point in the book, Feyre uses her telepathic bond with Rhysand to give him a sexual mental image of the two of them while he’s hanging out with the other male characters in a steam room; which causes him to get sexually aroused, prompting the other guys to kick him out of the steam room. That’s just really shallow and immature writing for Feyre and Rhysand, in terms of the two of them as individual characters, as well as their relationship with each other. Personally, I really wish that Maas wouldn’t just use the telepathic bond between Feyre and Rhysand as a way for them to constantly flirt with each other. It would be great to see Maas have Feyre and Rhysand use their telepathic bond with each other to help save the other when one of them is in danger, instead of just using it for the romance aspect of the series.

While I definitely enjoyed the writing for Feyre and Rhysand’s relationship in A Court of Mist and Fury, I admittedly thought that the writing for their relationship in A Court of Wings and Ruin was very annoying to the point that I honestly started to kind of hate them as a couple, and I hated them as a couple even more in this book. As far as I’m concerned, it’s definitely a pretty sad day whenever I come across a fictional romantic pairing that I find even more annoying than Gideon and Eva from Sylvia Day’s Crossfire series. Congratulations, Sarah J. Maas! You actually managed to make me like Gideon and Eva as a couple more Feyre and Rhysand! I’ll be sure to get your prize of an Amazon gift card in the mail ASAP! Honestly, prior to reading this book, pretty much the only fictional couple that I liked less than Gideon and Eva were Ana Steele and Christian Grey from the Fifty Shades trilogy. However, after reading this book, I definitely like Feyre and Rhysand as a couple less than I like Eva and Gideon as a couple; but I still like Feyre and Rhysand more than I like Ana and Christian as a couple. That’s pretty much only because of how abusive and toxic Ana and Christian’s relationship is, though.


On a more positive note, I’m so glad that the overall plot of A Court of Frost and Starlight didn’t involve Feyre getting pregnant and giving birth by the end of the book. Prior to the release of A Court of Frost and Starlight, I was half expecting a big part of the book’s plot to involve Feyre getting pregnant, and then giving birth under rather eventful circumstances towards the end of the book. Personally, I really didn’t want that to happen in this book; especially since Feyre and Rhysand had said in A Court of Wings and Ruin that they were going to wait a while before they had kids. That’s why I’m honestly really frustrated by the fact that Feyre decided that her Winter Solstice gift to Rhysand was going to be a baby; and it was somewhat implied at the end of the book that Feyre was pregnant, even though it had been mentioned at one point in the book that it might take a while for Feyre to get pregnant. I get that people’s circumstances in life change, which can cause people to have a change of heart about a decision that they had previously made; but it still frustrated me that Feyre and Rhysand decided to not take a few years to just enjoy life as a couple after the war ended before they started trying to have a baby like they had originally been planning to do.

Tamlin was only featured in two scenes in the book, and I found both of those scenes incredibly frustrating for a variety of reasons. First off, by portraying Tamlin as being incredibly despondent in this book, I feel like this book kind of tarnished the moment of redemption that he had in A Court of Wings and Ruin, where he gives up a portion of his power in order to help bring Rhysand back to life; and he simply tells Feyre to be happy when she was thinking that he might make her go with him in exchange for helping to bring Rhysand back to life. Don’t get me wrong, even though Tamlin pretty much only has himself to blame for driving Feyre away with his controlling and possessive behavior in A Court of Mist and Fury, I still think that Tamlin is entitled to feel sad about Feyre leaving him. That being said, the main problem that I ultimately have with Tamlin’s scenes is that Maas’ writing for Tamlin in this book really feels like a major regression from the way she left things with Tamlin in A Court of Wings and Ruin.

The other problem that I have with those scenes is the way Rhysand treats Tamlin in this book. While I understand that Rhysand feels a great deal of hatred and anger towards Tamlin due to the role that Tamlin played in his mother’s death, I still thought that it was pretty messed up that Rhysand went to Tamlin’s home simply to kick Tamlin while he’s down by gloating about how he has everything he wants (Namely Feyre), while Tamlin has basically lost everything. Plus, considering the fact that Tamlin did help bring Rhysand back to life in A Court of Wings and Ruin, I do think that he does at least owe Tamlin some gratitude for that. I’m glad that Rhysand eventually realized that he was wrong to kick Tamlin while he’s down towards the end of the book; but I thought that the way he “helped” Tamlin when he went back to Tamlin’s home the second time was also pretty messed up and weird. Ultimately, I just think Rhysand could have gone about helping Tamlin in a much nicer and more sympathetic way than he did. The scenes between Rhysand and Tamlin were definitely two of the numerous low points for Rhysand in this book, as far as I’m concerned.

The biggest saving grace of A Court of Frost and Starlight for me personally was definitely the fact that the book isn’t written entirely from Feyre and Rhysand’s point of view, because the chapters that focused on the characters besides Feyre and Rhysand were honestly the most interesting parts of the book. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed the chapters that focused on the other characters in the series, I thought that it was a rather odd and bad writing decision on Sarah J. Maas’ part to write Feyre and Rhysand’s chapters in first person point of view, and then write all of the other characters’ chapters in third person point of view. By writing all of the other characters’ chapters in third person point of view, it definitely made the changes in point of view feel rather jarring, and it gave me the impression that Maas didn’t know how to write the other characters’ chapters from first person point of view and really get in their heads; which I think could have potentially been really interesting.

Despite the fact that I thought the way Maas handled the changes in point of view throughout the book was rather odd, the chapters that focused on the characters other than Feyre and Rhysand were definitely the parts of the book that I enjoyed the most, and thought were the most interesting. I know that there are a lot of people out there who don’t like Nesta as a character, but I actually really like Nesta. It’s pretty obvious in this book that Nesta is having a really hard time adjusting to being a fae; and I can’t blame her for being upset about it, and lashing out at pretty much everyone around her since becoming a fae is something that was thrust upon her against her will. Personally, I feel like Feyre and pretty much all of the other characters in the book repeatedly villainized Nesta to a certain extent; instead of making a truly genuine effort to try and help her since she is pretty much suffering from PTSD, as far I can tell.

While I personally can’t stand Feyre and Rhysand as a couple at this point, especially after reading this book, I actually really loved the parts of A Court of Frost and Starlight that focused on Nesta and Cassian, and their relationship. Sure, I would say that Nesta definitely treated Cassian rather horribly in this book, which definitely makes their scenes together feel rather angst-ridden; but I ultimately still found what was going on with them much more interesting than the dry heave inducing flirtatious foreplay that Feyre and Rhysand constantly engaged in throughout the book.

The interactions between Elain and Azriel in this book were also very enjoyable, in my opinion. I especially love the part where Elain gives Azriel the vile of powder, which can be used to relieve headaches, for a winter solstice present; because she had apparently figured out that Azriel frequently gets headaches. That was definitely a really cute moment between them, and it really left me wishing that there had been more moments between Elain and Azriel in this book.

Personally, I was rather frustrated by the way Maas handled the writing for Mor, and her portraying Mor as suffering from PTSD in this book didn’t feel all that consistent with the way that Mor had always acted very tough and strong in the first three books in the series. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t necessarily have a problem with Maas portraying Mor as suffering from PTSD as the characters all deal with the aftermath of the war. I just think that Maas could have executed her portrayal of Mor, or any of the other characters for that matter, as suffering from PTSD a lot better than she did.

Plus, I feel like the way that Maas mentions the fact that Mor was brutalized by a man at one point in the past, while also referencing the fact that she’s romantically interested in women kind of gives the implication that Mor is into women because she was assaulted by a man. Plus, there were also times throughout the book where I felt like the writing for Mor kind of plays into angry lesbian stereotypes. As someone who’s bisexual, it really bothers me that Maas portrayed Mor’s sexuality the way that she did in this book; because I feel like her portrayal of Mor’s sexual orientation doesn’t exactly paint the LGBT community in a very positive light. I was also really frustrated by the way Maas handled the part of book where Feyre asks Mor if she has a girlfriend; because I feel like that scene serves absolutely no purpose in the book as a whole, other than to remind the reader that Mor is romantically interested in women.

In addition to the many other rather bizarre writing decisions that Sarah J. Maas made with this book, her frequent use of the word “male” throughout the book when it would have made a lot more sense to use the word “men” instead really baffled me. Maas even frequently uses the word “gentlemale” instead of “gentleman” throughout the book. I’m honestly surprised that whoever was in charge of editing A Court of Frost and Starlight didn’t insist that Maas change that aspect of the writing for the book; but then again I feel like there are quite a few things that could have been done in the editing process of writing and publishing this book to make it at least a little bit better than it turned out.

Another one of the many aspects of the book that I thought Maas handled in a rather odd way was the way she described the world that the A Court of Thorns and Roses series is set in. At times, Maas describes various aspects of the world in such a way that makes the world that the series takes place in come across as being very old-fashioned, and similar to what life was like several hundred years ago; with the characters traveling via horse driven carriages, but at other times throughout the book, Maas mentions more modern things like roads and intersections. Plus, Feyre also talks about grants and funding for charities at one point in the book.

Inconsistencies like that throughout the book ultimately really made Maas’ execution of the world building in this book come across as being a huge mess, as far I’m concerned. The bizarre modernization of certain things that are mentioned throughout the book, such as the fact that Maas describes the shoes that Feyre is wearing at one point in the book in such a way that basically made it sound like she was wearing uggs really added to the messiness of the world building in the book and the series in general. All of the messiness regarding the world building, combined with the fact that this book is the characters basically just hanging out and celebrating the Winter Solstice, having snowball fights (off-screen), leaves me feeling very surprised that Maas didn’t have Feyre, Rhysand, and the other characters hanging out at Starbucks, drinking Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccinos, or whatever their favorite beverage at Starbucks might be, at least one point in the book. (Sighs heavily in exasperation) For the record, I don’t think that Maas’ inconsistent world building is a problem that’s limited to just this book alone. I would definitely say that, in retrospect, Maas’ execution of the world building for the A Court of Thorns and Roses series has been rather inconsistent throughout the entire series so far. The inconsistencies in Maas’ execution of the world building for the series were simply a lot more noticeable to me in this book than they were in the first three books in the series.

As for my thoughts on the excerpt from the next full-length novel in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series that’s included at the end of the book, it looks like the next book in the series is going to be about Nesta and Cassian, and I personally loved it. It didn’t say what the title of the next full-length novel in the series is going to be, but the excerpt from the next book definitely made me want to read it when it’s released. After I read A Court of Wings and Ruin the first time, I was definitely really on the fence about whether or not I wanted to continue on with the series. However, Sarah J. Maas somehow managed to reel me back in, and got me feeling very curious about what the future held for the A Court of Thorns and Roses series when the release of this book was announced. I read this book because everything I heard about A Court of Frost and Starlight prior to its release led me to believe that this novella was meant to serve as a bridge between the first three books in the series, and set things up for the upcoming full-length novels in the series. That’s why I’m ultimately really frustrated by the fact that as far as I can tell, there’s nothing that happens in A Court of Frost and Starlight itself that appears to serve as setup for the upcoming full-length novels in the series. The excerpt from the next full-length novel that’s included at the end of the book is the only “setup” for the future of the series that’s featured in this book.

That’s ultimately why I think A Court of Frost and Starlight comes across as being a completely unnecessary book in the series, that’s nothing more than a cash grab for Sarah J. Maas, as far as I’m concerned. Despite the fact that A Court of Frost and Starlight itself feels absolutely pointless, and the A Court of Thorns and Roses series continues to really frustrate me in a variety of ways, Maas has definitely managed to once again get me interested in continuing to read the A Court of Thorns and Roses series thanks to the excerpt from the next full-length novel; because I’m very interested in finding out what’s going to happen next with Nesta and Cassian. I’m just hoping that Feyre and Rhysand will move more into the background as the series continues; because in case I haven’t already made it blatantly obvious in this review, I really can’t stand them anymore at this point; both as a couple, and as individual characters.


All in all, despite the fact that I went into reading A Court of Frost and Starlight with really low expectations, this book still managed to disappoint me in numerous ways. The main reason why I found this book so disappointing is the fact that it doesn’t really have a solid and compelling plot. The writing for Feyre and Rhysand’s relationship in this book is truly terrible, and is oftentimes dry heave inducing; rather than being sexy, romantic, or fun in any way. The main saving grace of this book is definitely the chapters that focus on the characters besides Feyre and Rhysand. However, the fact that Sarah J. Maas went from writing Feyre and Rhysand’s chapters in first person point of view, to writing all of the other characters’ chapters in third person point of view really made the writing for this book come across as being rather lazy, and an incredibly odd writing choice on her part. I also think that it’s rather sad that the best part of this book isn’t A Court of Frost and Starlight itself; it’s the excerpt from the next full-length novel in the series that’s featured at the end of the book. I definitely enjoyed the excerpt from the next book in the series a lot more than I enjoyed A Court of Frost and Starlight. The excerpt from the next book in the series is honestly the main reason why I didn’t give this book an even lower score than I did.

That being said, my final score for A Court of Frost and Starlight is 4 out of 10.

No comments :