Amazon Ad

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Book Review: Glass Sword (Book #2 in the Red Queen series) by Victoria Aveyard (Spoiler Review)



Right off the bat, I have to say that given how much I loved Red Queen, I definitely went into reading Glass Sword with a great deal of excitement and anticipation. That being said, while I definitely think that Glass Sword is a great book, I unfortunately didn’t love it quite as much as I loved Red Queen.

Glass Sword definitely hit the ground running by picking up pretty much right where Red Queen left off, which I really liked and appreciated about this book; especially given the way Red Queen ended. This book as a whole is definitely very action packed, and that’s also something that I really enjoyed about Glass Sword, particularly at the beginning of the book. That being said, while the overall plot of Glass Sword is very action packed and entertaining, I did think that the plot of the book started to feel slightly repetitive after a while; since such a large part of the book’s plot focused on Mare and the others traveling around the world in search of the people on Julian’s list of New Bloods.

On the positive side of things, I really enjoyed the variety of characters that were introduced throughout the course of the book as Mare, Cal, Kilorn, Shade, and the other members of the Scarlet Guard traveled around the world in search of the people who are New Bloods, like Mare and Shade, that were on Julian’s list. I also thought that Aveyard did a great job of coming up with a lot of really interesting and cool abilities for the people on Julian’s list to have. However, I have to admit that Mare really frustrated me at times throughout the book; especially in terms of her reactions to some of the people’s abilities. It really annoyed me that Mare was automatically expecting all of the New Bloods on Julian’s list to have powers that they would be able to use in a fight like she, Cal, Kilorn, and Shade all have. Plus, the fact that she basically automatically assumed that the people on Julian’s list would all join the Scarlet Guard and come with them once they found them also really frustrated me. Don’t get me wrong, I can definitely understand Mare being worried about the possibility that Maven might find the New Bloods on Julian’s list that didn’t go with them and kill them; especially since Maven did indeed kill some of the New Bloods on Julian’s list before Mare and the others had even found them. However, I definitely think that Shade had a point when he pointed out to her that the New Bloods that didn’t join them were capable of defending themselves if Maven found them and tried to hurt them; as well as telling her that joining the Scarlet Guard simply might not be the right thing for them to do, in terms of their happiness, and their lives in general.



On a somewhat related note, I have to say that I really loved the interactions between Mare, Cal, Kilorn, and Shade throughout Glass Sword. I especially enjoyed the interactions between them early on in the book, because I found them rather amusing at times. Personally, I found the whole thing about Cal being afraid to go into the water rather amusing; but at the same time, I can definitely understand his hesitation to do that, too. As Mare acknowledged in her internal narrative, Cal’s powers are the ability to manipulate fire; so, going into a body of water would make him vulnerable. While I enjoyed all of the lighthearted moments in this book, I also really enjoyed the more serious and angsty moments throughout the book as well. I felt like Cal, Kilorn, and Shade really did a great job of talking some sense into Mare whenever she got upset about some of the people on Julian’s list not wanting to go with them; or when she was initially disappointed about the fact that Ada Wallace’s abilities are enhanced intelligence and enhanced memory, until they pointed out to Mare that Ada’s abilities to learn and remember things very easily would come in handy as they helped teach her new skills. While I’m glad that Mare became more accepting of Ada’s abilities as the plot of the book progressed, I’m also glad that she wasn’t entirely comfortable with Ada being the person who piloted the plane as they flew around the world in search of the New Bloods on Julian’s list. I wouldn’t be comfortable flying in a plane that was being piloted by someone who learned how to fly planes simply by reading about how to do it either.

Even though I’ve always had very mixed feelings about romance in YA books, especially books that are straight up YA romance novels, that go all the way back to when I was a teenager, and I was actually a part of the target demographic for YA books in terms of my age (I’m thirty-two years old); the evolution of Mare and Cal’s relationship throughout Glass Sword is actually something that I really enjoyed about this book. I thought that Aveyard did a great job of executing the writing for Mare and Cal’s relationship throughout the course of this book; and I’ve definitely really enjoyed the romance aspect of the Red Queen series in general so far due to how Aveyard handled it in both Red Queen, and this book. That being said, Mare not telling Cal and the others about all of the things that Maven was doing to torment her throughout the book is something that really frustrated me about this book. While I understand that Mare was trying to shield Cal from all of the horrible things that Maven was doing, I definitely think that she should have told Cal and the others about Maven’s actions immediately; especially since they were all in danger of Maven hurting them in some way, or possibly even being killed by Maven and his people. Not telling Cal and the others about all of the things that Maven was doing to torment her as they searched for the New Bloods on Julian’s list was simply a really stupid thing for Mare to do, as far as I’m concerned.

The whole reveal of Maven’s betrayal of Mare and the rest of the Scarlet Guard at the end of Red Queen is definitely a big part of what left me feeling very excited to read Glass Sword after I read Red Queen the first time in December of last year. While I was very excited to see where things with the series in general were going to go after the events that happened at the end of Red Queen, I was definitely especially excited to see where things were going to go with Maven in this book. Unfortunately, I have to say that the biggest complaint that I have about Glass Sword is that while Maven definitely has a big, looming emotional presence throughout this book when it comes to the internal struggle that Mare and Cal both experienced throughout the book; I was really disappointed by the fact that he barely has a physical presence in this book. By not having Maven be physically present for the most part in this book, I feel like he lost a lot of the complexity and intrigue that he demonstrated throughout Red Queen. I feel like Maven went from being a very nuanced, morally gray character like he was in Red Queen to pretty much just being a straight up villain in this book, and that really frustrated me.

Personally, I really wish that Aveyard hadn’t written this book solely from Mare’s point of view. I honestly think that she should have written Glass Sword partially from Maven’s point of view, and perhaps she could have also written the book partially from Cal’s point of view as well. The main reason why I really wish that Glass Sword had been written partially from Maven’s point of view is because I was left with a lot of questions about how he was able to track Mare and the rest of the Scarlet Guard’s whereabouts so closely, and know what they were doing throughout the course of the book. I also felt like Maven lost a lot of the complexity that I thought he had as a character in Red Queen by barely having a physical presence in this book; since we as the reader didn’t get any kind of glimpse into Maven’s mental and emotional state as he was doing all of the things that he did offscreen to torment Mare.

Maven’s actions really took an incredibly sick and twisted turn in this book when he killed a baby, and left a note with the baby telling Mare that he was going to keep killing New Bloods at one point in the book. Since we didn’t actually see him kill the baby “on screen”, I’m not entirely sure whether or not the reader is supposed to assume that he killed the baby himself; or if he simply arranged to have someone kill the baby for him. That being said, regardless of who actually killed the baby, that was still an incredibly sick and twisted thing for Maven to do. I don’t know if it was Aveyard’s intention to turn Maven into a straight-up villain who’s incapable of being redeemed as the series continues when she wrote this book; but after reading Glass Sword, I’m honestly feeling extremely skeptical when it comes to the question of whether or not Maven can be redeemed in any way by the end of the series.

That being said, at the risk of coming across as being a truly horrible person who’s completely devoid of a soul, I do have to applaud Aveyard for being willing to take Maven’s actions in this book to such sick and twisted extremes. While I’m a HUGE fan of the YA fantasy genre, one of my most frequent complaints about YA fantasy books is that even though there are a ton of great YA fantasy series out there, I feel like most authors don’t do as much with the premise of a series as I think they could have; which in my experience has often been the case when it comes to world building, or how villainous the villains in a YA fantasy series actually act. However, in the case of the Red Queen series, and more specifically this book, I think Aveyard has definitely done a great job of portraying Maven as being a genuine villain who actually does truly villainous things, instead of playing it relatively safe when it comes to the writing for a YA book. Even though the fact that Maven barely has a physical presence in this book really frustrated me, which I do think caused him to lose some depth and complexity as a character; I still love the fact that Aveyard actually had Maven do some pretty sick and twisted things in this book, instead of having the characters talk about how bad Maven is without actually having him do anything all that bad, which is something that I think some YA fantasy authors can be guilty of at times. People have told me that a lot of Maven’s character development takes place in King’s Cage, and I’m really hoping that will prove to be the case since Maven barely had a physical presence in this book; which really did cause Maven to lose some depth and complexity as a character, as far as I’m concerned.

Considering the fact that Shade was just revealed to not have died fighting in the war like Mare and her family had previously believed at the end of Red Queen, I was really disappointed by the fact that Shade was killed off towards the end of Glass Sword. As far as I’m concerned, having Shade die in this book kind of made Aveyard revealing that he was actually still alive at the end of Red Queen seem like a rather pointless plot point in the series, and it made a part of me wish that Shade had just stayed dead. That being said, I definitely have to give Aveyard a lot of credit for how she handled the writing of this book in terms of Mare’s reaction to Shade’s death. I was really glad that Aveyard made the fact that Mare had basically just gotten Shade back at the end of Red Queen, only have to him actually die so soon after being reunited with him a big part of how Mare reacted to his death in this book.

I honestly can’t put my finger on exactly why I feel this way about Glass Sword, but even though I think this book has some really great emotional material throughout the book, I still feel like it didn’t have quite as much heart as I thought Red Queen had; which was one of the reasons why I love that book so much. When it comes to Red Queen, Mare had a lot to deal with by basically having to do a lot to help take care of her family who are all very down on their luck, initially by being a pickpocket. The fact that Mare helped provide for her family this way definitely led to a lot of interesting tension between her and the rest of her family, especially since her mother disapproved of her actions. Once Mare’s powers were discovered, she had to deal with leaving her family and the rest of her life as she knew it behind, without originally telling her family the truth about her powers, and why she was leaving. Mare having to deal with pretending to be a Silver, and the Cal/Mare/Maven love triangle that developed throughout Red Queen was also very enjoyable and emotionally engaging. Glass Sword, on the other hand, definitely has some very emotionally engaging elements to it; but Aveyard seemed to put so much emphasis on the action part of the plot that I ultimately feel like Glass Sword didn’t have quite as much heart to it as Red Queen did, which ultimately diminished my enjoyment of this book a little bit.

All things considered, despite the fact that I didn’t love Glass Sword quite as much as I loved Red Queen, I still think that it’s a great follow-up to Red Queen. Even though I love the fact that the overall plot of this book is very action packed, the plot did start to feel a little repetitive after a while since a large portion of the overall plot of the book revolved primarily around Mare, Cal, Kilorn, and Shade searching for the people on the list of New Bloods that Julian had compiled. I also feel like Glass Sword didn’t have quite as much heart as I thought Red Queen had. That being said, there are still a lot of great interactions between Mare, Cal, Kilorn, and Shade throughout the book. Plus, even though I’ve always had VERY mixed feelings about romance within the YA genre, I once again found myself really enjoying Aveyard’s writing for the romance between Mare and Cal in this book.

As far as I’m concerned, even when it comes to most of the complaints that I have about this book, I still have to give Aveyard a lot of credit for the overall execution of the plot of Glass Sword. I especially feel that way about how Aveyard ultimately handled Shade dying in this book after having been revealed to still be alive at the end of Red Queen. Even though I definitely have to give Aveyard major credit for having the overall plot of Glass Sword be very action packed, I still feel like this book could have benefitted from having more moments throughout the book where the action slowed down a little bit, and the characters just interacted with each other. I also think that the book could have benefitted from having a little bit more character development for both the main characters, and the people on Julian’s list that Mare and the others were able to track down throughout the course of the book.

While I also have to give Aveyard a lot of credit for having Maven do truly villainous things in this book, the fact that he did those things “off screen” and barely had a physical presence in this book ultimately caused him to lose some of the complexity that I thought he had as a character in Red Queen. I’m really hoping that the things that people have told me about a lot of Maven’s character development taking place in King’s Cage will prove to be true; especially since I really missed him as a character in this book. His absence for most of this book and not being able to actually see him do the things that he did throughout the book, and not being privy to his current thought process is something that I found rather disappointing about this book. That being said, much like the ending of Red Queen left me feeling very excited to read this book, the ending of this book definitely left me feeling very anxious and excited to read King’s Cage. As far as I can tell so far, Aveyard definitely has a talent for ending the books in the Red Queen series in such a way that they leave you wanting more; but thankfully both Red Queen and Glass Sword left me wanting more in a good way.

That being said, my final score for Glass Sword is 8 out of 10.

No comments :