Amazon Ad

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Book Review: Twist of Fate (Book #8.5 in the Heartbreaker Bay series) by Jill Shalvis


Twist of Fate is the first Jill Shalvis book that I've ever read, and it definitely won't be the last. I really enjoyed the second-chance romance plot of the book with Diego and Daisy, who were brought back together when Diego's brother, Rocco, and Rocco's fiancée, Tyler, roped him into helping with the final preparations for their wedding, after Diego and Daisy hadn't seen each other in years after they broke up. I thought that the book had a pretty enjoyable plot that was pretty well written for the most part, and I enjoyed the romantic drama that was present between Diego and Daisy throughout the book. Diego and Daisy also had really great palpable chemistry, in this book.

However, I have to admit that I found some of the backstory behind Diego and Daisy's breakup a bit too vague for my taste and a little confusing, since there were details behind the circumstances of their breakup that felt inconsistent with the other's view on their breakup. I definitely feel like that aspect of Twist of Fate could have used some fleshing out and a little revision on Shalvis' part. Ultimately, I would definitely say that regardless of the actual circumstances and events that led up to their breakup were, a big part of their breakup was caused by Diego and Daisy failing to actually talk to each other, and them just making assumptions about what the other wanted or needed instead. As someone who is a fan of stories revolving around family and familial conflict, I really enjoyed the familial drama aspect of book's plot between Diego and Rocco, and I wish that Shalvis had featured that aspect of the book's plot in the book a little bit more than she did. In the grand scheme of things, I loved this book, but I definitely think that the two main sources of conflict in the overall plot of Twist of Fate could have both really benefitted from being fleshed out some more. Perhaps Shalvis felt like she couldn’t do that since Twist of Fate is a novella, and novellas are typically supposed to be short; but I would still say that the two sources of conflict in the plot are a both a little underdeveloped.

Even though Rocco and Tyler are supposed to be secondary characters in the book, I still felt like they were barely “there”, and should have had a little bit more of a presence in the book; especially considering the role that they played in the book's resolution, which was admittedly a bit too rushed, as far as I'm concerned. The fact that Rocco and Tyler were barely featured throughout the book, and then it was suddenly revealed towards the end of the book that having Diego and Daisy work together on planning their wedding had all been a scheme on their part to get Diego and Daisy back together just felt a tad ridiculous and contrived to me; especially considering the fact that a big part of Twist of Fate’s plot revolved around Diego and Daisy being exes who were recruited to help make the final preparations for Rocco and Tyler’s wedding.


Ultimately, while Twist of Fate isn't perfect, I still loved the book, and I definitely want to check out the other books in Shalvis' Heartbreaker Bay series, as well as her other books after reading this book. Twist of Fate definitely served as a great introduction to Jill Shalvis' books for people like me who haven't read any of her books before.

That being said my score for Twist of Fate is 8 out of 10.

No comments :