Amazon Ad

Monday, November 15, 2010

Desperate Housewives: ("Sorry Grateful" episode thoughts) I'm not a housewife, but I'm desperate to enjoy Desperate Housewives again


Once again I found myself not enjoying Desperate Housewives very much this week. I have to say that so far I haven't been enjoying season 7 very much at all, which is very disappointing considering how much I loved season 6. I've just been finding all of the storylines this season either extremely boring or incredibly contrived.

Out of all the storylines that bug me this season, Bree's storyline definitely frustrates me the most. I hate the way Bree acts with Keith, because it all seems so out of character for her. When Desperate Housewives started, Bree was immediately my favorite character because I loved how uptight and conservative she was. Usually people who have the tendency to be very uptight bug the hell out of me, but I always loved the dialogue that Bree's uptight manner has led her to deliver.

All I can think about when I watch Bree now is how she went from being woman who couldn't stop obsessing over a leaking burrito long enough to have sex with Rex to being absolutely lustful and sex crazed, bragging to all of her friends about the number of times that she's had sex with Keith. I know that characters on TV shows are supposed to change and evolve over time just like people do in real life, but the ways that Bree has changed just seem so radical and extreme. She's barely a shadow of her formal self. I can't believe that Keith wanted to ask Bree to marry him when they haven't known each other all that long and all they seem to do is have sex. That just makes no sense to me. I also thought that it was pretty bad of Keith's mother to say that Bree told her to get a divorce when she didn't really say that and it wasn't her intention for Keith's mother to do that when they talked.

I don't really have much to say about Lynette's storyline, because I've just found her storylines extremely boring in every episode so far this season. I do like her very competitive friendship with Renée. Renée is a very funny character and I love her one-liners. I'm also very interested to see how the whole thing with Tom having slept with Renée years ago plays out, especially once Lynette finds out about it.

For the most part I found Susan's storyline with Lynette and their argument about whether they should let Paige cry herself to sleep pretty boring and I thought that it was pretty disrespectful of Susan to defy Lynette's request to not go take care of Paige given the fact that Susan is working for Lynette. In the end, I was able to see where Susan coming from once she explained to Lynette that she hates hearing Paige cry because M.J. cries himself to sleep every night because he misses Mike.

One thing that has really bugged me about the whole Susan and Mike being in debt storyline since last season is the fact that they have the money from the sale of Susan's share of Karl's strip club that they could use to pay off their debt, but Mike won't let her do that because he refuses to let go of his pride. Suddenly we’re supposed to believe that they are so poor and strapped for cash that Susan is forced to put away several items from her grocery cart when she goes grocery shopping. If the fact that Paul is now renting their house upsets Mike as much as he said it did, then I would think he would let Susan use her money to pay off their debt. That whole storyline just seems way too contrived to me.
One storyline that I am kind of enjoying this season is Gabrielle’s and the whole baby switch ordeal. I think it’s pretty interesting that just when she had come to terms with Juanita not being the skinny, model in the making daughter that she had always wanted she discovers that Juanita isn’t really her daughter and that her biological daughter is the pretty daughter that she wanted. I love Gabrielle’s scenes with Juanita and the dynamic between the two of them, but ever since she met her biological daughter she’s spending all her time with Grace and we haven’t seen very much of Juanita. I miss the relationship between Gabrielle and Juanita, and I hope they start showing some more interaction between them in future episodes. Things have gotten even more interesting with Gabrielle now that Grace’s parents have been forced to leave the U.S. since they aren’t legal citizens and Grace is going to be living with Gabrielle and Carlos now. I’m really excited to see where that goes.
I’m still trying to figure out what Paul’s plan for getting revenge on the residents of Wisteria Lane is. It appears that he’s planning to fill the street with ex-convicts, which is supposed to cause everyone to turn on each other.
All in all, this episode was just okay in my opinion, and I would give this episode a rating of C.

No comments :