Amazon Ad

Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Blacklist: Is this an episode of a TV show or is this an action movie? (My thoughts on episode 1x09 “Anslo Garrick (No.16), Part 2”)


I’d like to preface this review by saying that I personally found this episode rather challenging to critique, which is the main reason why it has taken me so long to write this review. The other reason why it has taken me so long is because I’ve been busy with work, Christmas, as well as other projects. While I’d like to apologize for me taking so long to write and post this review, I felt like I needed to take some time to really think about this episode before commenting on it; that being said, here are my thoughts on this episode.

When it comes to how I feel about this episode compared to the first part of this two-part episode, I have to say that I didn’t like this episode nearly as much as the previous episode. The main reason for this being is that I feel like the previous episode had a great deal of emotional sustenance and character development to go along with the action packed nature of the episode. This episode on the other hand felt like the exact opposite. I feel like this episode primarily action driven with only a little bit of emotional sustenance, and if you ask me, that definitely hurt the episode quite a bit.

Don’t get me wrong, I like this episode and it definitely has some good moments, but every time I watch this episode, I constantly find myself feeling like I’m watching an action movie that’s 97% intense action and drama with only 3% of the movie being devoted to character and storyline development. I know that most people like it when a story is full of action, but I feel like this episode felt like such a mindless action movie or TV show that sacrificed having any significant amount of emotional depth in exchange for lots of action sequences, and as a result, it actually led me to tuning out mentally quite a bit as I was watching this episode.

At the start of the episode, Anslo Garrick was still hell-bent on getting his hands on Red, but Harold was refusing to give Garrick the code to the box that Red and Donald were both locked in despite the fact that Red was telling Harold to give him the code. While Harold refused to give Garrick the code, Red got Donald to give him the code to open the box by putting a gun to Donald’s head, which Red did once Garrick had gotten his hands on Elizabeth and was threatening to hurt her. Once Red had opened the box, Garrick managed to get away with him, which also allowed Elizabeth to get away from Garrick’s men. Garrick’s escape with Red led to a whole high-speed car chase and action sequence that I thought was more chaotic than entertaining. It definitely grossed me out when Garrick’s men dug the tracking device that Red was implanted with out of his body during the high-speed car chase, but then again, I’ve always been pretty squeamish when it comes to that kind of thing.

Garrick managed to get away with Red, and Red ended up being tortured by Garrick and a former colleague of his named, Mr. Fitch, who was played by Alan Alda. Mr. Fitch questioned Red about his relationship with Elizabeth, but that whole part of the episode failed to give the viewers any real insight into Red’s fascination with Elizabeth, which I found rather disappointing. (Sighs) In the end, Red managed to kill Garrick and get away after Mr. Fitch left Garrick alone with Red. The FBI showed up at the scene right after Red had gotten away. 



Personally, I thought Alan Alda was completely wasted in the role of Mr. Fitch. I have to admit that I’m all not all that familiar with Alda’s work as an actor, but I do know that he’s too good of an actor to be wasted in one-off guest-star role on a TV show. Maybe if the producers bring Alan Alda back in a future episode, I won’t feel like the writers wasted him in the role, but for now I feel like Alan Alda was extremely underutilized in this episode.

Elizabeth, Aram and the others spent a large chunk of the episode trying to find Red. The task force ended up discovering that there’s a mole within the agency. At one point in the episode, Diane Fowler announced that she was disbanding the task force that’s dedicated to catching the people on The Blacklist and told everyone that as far as she was concerned the only person on The Blacklist was Red.

Honestly, I have no idea who could possibly be the mole at this point in time, but the whole revelation about there being a mole within the agency is definitely a pretty interesting twist to have happen so early in the series’ run. I personally can’t wait to see how that all plays out.

Once Garrick had gotten away with Red, Donald was taken to the hospital where he was taken into surgery in order to treat the injuries that he sustained in the previous episode. Donald made it out of surgery and his ex-fiancée; Audrey came to see him at the hospital since she’s apparently still listed as his emergency contact with the bureau. They spent some time together talking to each other, which makes me wonder if they might end up getting back together at some point. Although, Donald noticed that Audrey was wearing an engagement ring when she showed up at the hospital, so it looks like she has moved on. Up until the previous episode, I always thought of Donald as just being kind of “there” and his presence on the show never made much of an impact on me, but I’m definitely invested in his character now, so I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next with Donald.

Tom spent the episode worrying about Elizabeth after Garrick had answered her phone when he called her at the beginning of the episode. During the brief moment that Elizabeth talked to Tom on the phone she insisted that he call the police and tell them to come to the FBI headquarters. Elizabeth briefly went to their house at one point in the episode, and Tom begged her to move to Nebraska with him like they had talked about after her adoptive father’s funeral. I live in Nebraska, so I always love it when TV shows mention Nebraska since I feel like it’s a rare thing for writers to have characters that are from Nebraska on a TV show or simply mention Nebraska in some way. I also always love it when the writers for The Big Bang Theory mention Nebraska since the character Penny is from Omaha, Nebraska, but I digress.

A part of me has to wonder if at least a part of Tom’s desire to move to Nebraska has anything to do with getting away from the criminal activity that the writers have alluded to Tom being involved with. News flash, Tom! Nebraska isn’t a crime free state, so if you think moving to Nebraska will get you away from whatever criminal activity you’re involved in, guess again. For all Tom knows, he could easily end up getting involved with criminals in Nebraska if he moved here, or anywhere for that matter. Just because a person moves from one place to another, it doesn’t mean that their problems won’t end up following them wherever they go.

This is a truly difficult episode for me to rate, because while I liked this episode, most of what I liked about this episode had to do with the ideas for future episodes that it presented, such as the return of Donald’s ex-fiancée and Tom’s desire to move somewhere else, possibly Nebraska, while Elizabeth insisted on continuing to search for Red and working with Aram and the rest of the task force to try and figure out who the mole is. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with Elizabeth and Tom’s marriage since it’s pretty much a guarantee that Elizabeth will continue to work with Red and the rest of bureau, while Tom will most likely continue to try and convince Elizabeth to move somewhere else with him. The way this episode ended also left me feeling excited to see how Red will go back to working with Elizabeth and the rest of the FBI since the task force has been disbanded, at least for the moment. There’s also the fact that Red called Elizabeth that he was going away for a while, but he told her that if she needs him, he’d come back.

Elizabeth asked Red if he’s her father, but he told her that he isn’t and warned her about Tom at the end of the episode. The whole thing about Tom apparently keeping secrets from Elizabeth is something that I’m really anxious to see play out in future episodes. I’m still not entirely convinced that Red isn’t Elizabeth’s father. Regardless of whether or not Red was telling the truth when he told Elizabeth that he isn’t her father, it’ll be interesting to see how long the writers plan on keeping Red’s connection to Elizabeth and how it’s possible that he knows so much about her and Tom when they don’t appear to have any obvious connection to each other a secret. Aside from the ideas that this episode presented, I found this episode as a whole to be very lacking compared to the first part of the two-part fall finale. In the end, my final score for the episode is based mostly on how I feel about the storyline ideas that the writers presented in this episode rather than being largely based on the episode as a whole.

That being said, my final score for this episode is 5 out of 10.

No comments :