Amazon Ad

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Book Review: The Assassin’s Blade (Books #0.1-0.5 in the Throne of Glass series) by Sarah J. Maas (Spoilers)



Right off the bat, I have to say that I absolutely loved The Assassin’s Blade as a whole for the most part. I found all five of the novellas that are featured in this book very enjoyable to a certain extent. Reading The Assassin’s Blade was also definitely a very interesting experience for me, since I originally read Throne of Glass for the first time back in 2017; not realizing that most fans of the Throne of Glass series actually recommend reading this book before reading the book Throne of Glass since the five novellas that are featured in this book essentially serve as a prequel to the series. Reading The Assassin’s Blade after having already read Throne of Glass ultimately caused me to more or less see a few things that happened in the five novellas featured in this book coming from the get-go. However, I thought it was also kind of fun to read this book after reading Throne of Glass, because it gave me the chance to learn the origins behind a few aspects of the series that I was already aware of.

Since The Assassin’s Blade is a book of five novellas, I decided that the way I would approach reviewing the book by briefly reviewing each novella in the book individually, give each novella their own individual score, and my final overall score for the book is the average of the five individual scores. That being said, here are my thoughts on all five novellas that are featured in The Assassin’s Blade.

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
I thought that The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was a great novella to open the book with, and I loved it for many reasons. For starters, Maas definitely did a great job of introducing Celaena as the protagonist of the Throne of Glass series in this novella, and giving people a feel for what she’s like as a character. Plus, the overall plot of The Assassin and the Pirate Lord worked very well for a novella in the sense that it focused on Celaena completing a single mission that her master, Arobynn, sent her on with Sam; which proved to be a very interesting and well developed concept for a story within the novella’s relatively short length. (This novella is 75 pages long in the hardback edition of The Assassin's Blade.)

As far as I’m concerned, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord’s three greatest strengths are Maas’ writing for Celaena as the protagonist of the series, her writing for Sam, and her writing for Celaena and Sam’s friendship. I absolutely loved the somewhat playful and the platonically affectionate dynamic of their friendship, because it really made the interactions between them throughout the novella very entertaining. That being said, the only genuine complaint that I have about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the fact that I found the first chapter somewhat chaotic due to quite a few characters being featured in the chapter that weren’t present or a part of the novella’s plot after that chapter. I really think the first chapter could have benefitted from Maas not featuring as many characters in the first chapter as she did.



Ultimately, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was definitely a great novella to open The Assassin’s Blade with. It really did a great job of introducing Celaena as the protagonist of the Throne of Glass series. Sam is also a great character, and the friendship between Celaena and Sam was a major highlight of the novella for me. Despite the fact that I found the first chapter a little chaotic due to the fact that it featured a lot of characters weren’t present for the rest of the novella, I thought that the overall plot of The Assassin and the Pirate Lord was executed very well. Reading The Assassin and the Pirate Lord definitely got me even more excited about finally revisiting Maas’ Throne of Glass series after having only read Throne of Glass for the first time back in 2017.

That being said, my score for The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is 9 out of 10.

The Assassin and the Healer
I really liked The Assassin and the Healer for the most part, and if I’m being completely honest, this particular novella definitely wasn’t quite what I had been expecting prior to reading it. Considering that Celaena is the protagonist of the Throne of Glass series, the fact that The Assassin and the Healer focused on the character Yrene, and to a small extent the character Nolan, more than it focused on Celaena really surprised me. I think that was somewhat of a bold move on Sarah J. Maas’ part since I’m guessing we won’t be seeing Yrene, or Nolan, again as the series continues. However, I think that having this particular novella focus primarily on Yrene allowed Maas to further develop Celaena in a very interesting way; in the sense that we got the chance to see how other people view Celaena as a person.

Yrene was definitely a very interesting character, and I thought that Maas did a really good job of developing her as a character in the small amount of time that she had to focus on Yrene. I loved the way that Maas really emphasized the fact that Yrene’s life hasn’t gone the way she was she was hoping it would in the sense that she felt like she was somewhat stuck in a rut, since she had been working at White Pig Inn longer than she had initially been planning to, or hoping to; since her dream was ultimately to become a healer. That aspect of Yrene and the novella as a whole definitely made her a character that I think a lot of people who read this book will be able to relate to.

When The Assassin and the Healer focused on Celaena, the novella ultimately felt like somewhat of an epilogue to The Assassin and the Pirate Lord due to the fact that Maas followed up on the events that happened at the end of that novella by referencing her master, Arobynn Hamel’s, reaction to Celaena’s actions at the end of The Assassin and the Pirate Lord. It’s mentioned in the narrative, that the assignment that Celaena was sent on in this novella was essentially her punishment for those actions.

I love the fact that this novella gives the reader a chance to see somewhat of a different, kinder, and more caring side of Celaena when it comes to the way she gives Yrene a lesson in self-defense, so she’s better equipped to defend herself in dangerous situations. Plus, Celaena also provides Yrene with the financial means to quit her job at the White Pig Inn, and go train to be a healer like she wanted to at the end of the novella.

The Assassin and the Healer was definitely somewhat of an odd novella, as far as I’m concerned, in the sense that it was rather lowkey in terms of the plot of the novella not really having an overarching conflict to it. That being said, I really enjoyed the fact that this particular novella felt like somewhat of a character piece for Celaena, and primarily focused on fleshing her out a little bit more as the protagonist of the series. Ultimately, I have to say that for that reason alone, The Assassin and the Healer really got me even more excited to continue reading The Assassin’s Blade than I already was.

That being said, my score for The Assassin and the Healer is 8 out of 10.

The Assassin and the Desert
The Assassin and the Desert is definitely my favorite novella in The Assassin’s Blade so far, and I loved this novella for many reasons. For starters, I love the fact that it continues to build upon the events that have taken place in the first two novellas that are featured in this book; which is something that has really made this book feel like an actual novel to me, instead of just being a collection of novellas like I had been expecting The Assassin’s Blade to feel like prior to reading this book. I also love the fact that the overall plot of this novella is very action-packed, and full of quite a few twists and turns throughout the whole story.

As much as I loved the action-packed nature of The Assassin and the Desert, my favorite thing about this novella is definitely the fact that not only did it add to the complexity of Celaena as the protagonist of the Throne of Glass series; it also features a variety of complex secondary characters, namely Ansel, who I quickly fell in love with when I was reading this novella. I really loved the friendship between Celaena and Ansel pretty much right from the beginning of the novella, so I was genuinely surprised when she betrayed Celaena. That being said, the fact that Ansel ended up betraying Celaena, and just her actions in general throughout the entire novella is ultimately what made her such a complex and intriguing character, in my opinion. The fact that I quickly came to love Ansel as a character prompted me to look on the Throne of Glass wiki to see if I could find anything about whether or not Ansel is featured in any of the other books in the series; and I was thrilled to discover that in addition to being mentioned in Queen of Shadows, she also appears in Empire of Storms and Kingdom of Ash.

Discovering that The Assassin and the Desert isn’t the only time people will be seeing Ansel in the Throne of Glass series is definitely something that made me think that it truly is important to read The Assassin’s Blade; and if I’m being completely honest, prior to reading this novella, I had always wondered if it really was necessary that people actually read this book. All in all, The Assassin and the Desert truly is my favorite novella in this book so far.

That being said, my score for The Assassin and the Desert is 10 out of 10.

The Assassin and the Underworld
While I didn’t necessarily hate The Assassin and the Underworld, it’s definitely my least favorite novella in the book. On the positive side of things, I thought that Maas did a great job of fleshing Celaena out as a character in this novella by exploring some of her interests and her life outside of being an assassin. Honestly, I was really surprised by the fact that the opera performance that Celaena and other assassins went to as a way of scouting out their latest target made her cry. I just didn’t see Celaena as being the kind of person who would ever cry over an opera performance; but I ultimately think that the whole thing with her crying in reaction to the opera was a great way for Maas to portray Celaena as being a character who’s very complex and as someone who has a lot of depth.

I was thrilled to see Sam finally return in The Assassin and the Underworld. The parts of this novella’s plot that focused on the relationship between Celaena and Sam, and the romantic tension that exists between them were definitely the other major highlight of The Assassin and the Underworld for me personally. The parts of the novella involving Lysandra also proved to be rather entertaining as well. One last positive comment that I would like to make about The Assassin and the Underworld, is that I thought it was really great to see Celaena sever her ties to Arobynn Hamel at the end of this novella. While I do think that Arobynn does care about Celaena in his own messed up way; he definitely isn’t the nicest person for her, or anybody for that matter, to have to deal with. That being said, what ultimately makes The Assassin and the Underworld my least favorite novella in The Assassin’s Blade is the fact that I didn’t find the actual job that Celaena and the other assassins were working on in this novella all that interesting; and that’s definitely not a good thing since their latest job is a major part of The Assassin and the Underworld’s plot.

All things considered, my score for The Assassin and the Underworld is 5 out of 10.

The Assassin and the Empire*************
The Assassin and the Empire continued the trend of building upon the events that took place in the first four novellas in The Assassin’s Blade; which not only once again caused The Assassin’s Blade to feel like a traditional novel to me, it was also a great way to end The Assassin’s Blade as a whole. That being said, while I did love The Assassin and the Empire, I do have a couple complaints about the novella. In terms of what I liked about this novella, I found the overall plot of The Assassin and the Empire very interesting and action-packed. Plus, the parts of the novella that focused on Celaena and Sam’s relationship were once again a major highlight of the plot for me, just like their relationship has been a real highlight for me in the other four novellas that are featured in this book.

One storytelling technique that I’ve always had somewhat mixed feelings about is nonlinear storytelling that starts off on a rather cryptic and dramatic note, and then shows the events leading up to the moment that was hinted at at the beginning of the story. The reason why I have mixed feelings about this storytelling technique is because there have been many times over the years where I ultimately felt like it led to the plot coming across as being anticlimactic, and there being a lack of a satisfying payoff for the audience. That being said, in this case, I thought that Maas did a great job of executing the nonlinear structure of the plot of The Assassin and the Empire in a way that I ultimately felt had a very satisfying payoff; and as someone who has already read the book, Throne of Glass, before, I thought that she also did a fantastic job of leading into the events that take place in that book.

Even though I was happy to see Celaena trying to sever her ties to Arobynn in The Assassin and the Underworld, I have to admit that I did enjoy her interactions with him in this novella. While Arobynn is without a doubt a rather shady person, his shadiness does provide quite a bit of interesting drama from a storytelling standpoint. For that reason, I kind of hope that Arobynn sticks around to serve as a villain for the Throne of Glass series as the series continues.

As I said at the beginning of this review, I thought that it was kind of fun to read this book after having already read Throne of Glass several years ago; because it gave me the chance to learn about the origins behind a few aspects of the series that I was already aware of. I especially loved learning that Celaena’s mantra, “My name is Celaena Sardothien, and I will not be afraid.”, originates from Sam telling her in this novella that he says the mantra, “My name is Sam Cortland, and I will not be afraid.”, whenever he’s scared.

Having already read Throne of Glass prior to reading The Assassin’s Blade definitely made it so that I pretty much saw Sam’s death in The Assassin and the Empire coming ever since I read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, since he hadn’t appeared in that book. That being said, while I thought that Sam’s death was rather predictable, I thought that Maas handled writing Sam’s death and Celaena’s reaction to it pretty well for the most part. However, that does bring me to the one genuine complaint that I have about The Assassin and the Empire. I personally found the overall pacing of the plot slightly jarring once I got to the part of the novella where Sam dies; due to the fact that Maas didn’t spend very much time having Celaena react to Sam’s death and acknowledge his death before Maas moved on to the next part of this novella’s plot.

Perhaps Maas was trying to execute Sam’s death,  and Celaena’s reaction to his death, in a way that illustrates how life doesn’t necessarily pause or stop when people are faced with the death of a loved one, or any kind of tragedy, or problem for that matter; so they have time to slow down, work through it, or grieve before they move on with their lives. Life and the world just keep moving forward, and unfortunately the hits can keep on coming in a person’s life; which was definitely the case for Celaena in this novella. If that was indeed what Maas was going for in terms of how she handled the writing for Sam’s death and the overall plot of The Assassin and the Empire as a whole, I think she did a great job of conveying that idea. That being said, when it comes to how Maas ultimately handled the writing for Sam’s death and Celaena’s reaction to it, I still honestly kind of feel like Maas treated that aspect this novella’s plot as something that she simply needed to check off her To-Do list in terms of all things she wanted to accomplish in The Assassin and the Empire; instead of putting at least a little bit more time and effort into the writing for that aspect of this novella than she did, as far as I’m concerned. However, despite the complaints that I have about Maas’ writing for Sam’s death in this novella, I ultimately thought that The Assassin and the Empire was not only a great way to end this book, it was also a great way to set things up for the book, Throne of Glass.

All things considered, my score for The Assassin and the Empire is 9 out of 10.

Final Thoughts
As a whole, The Assassin’s Blade definitely does a great job of serving as a prequel to the Throne of Glass series. I felt like all five of these novellas did a really good job of introducing both Celaena, as the protagonist of the Throne of Glass series, and the world that the series is set in to people who are just getting into reading the series. As I said earlier in this review, my favorite novella in this book is definitely The Assassin and the Desert, and my least favorite novella in the book is The Assassin and the Underworld. Finally, I have to say that I’m definitely very excited to reread Throne of Glass, and then read the rest of the Throne of Glass series after reading this book. Sarah J. Maas’ writing might not always be perfect, but as someone who has read all of the books in her A Court of Thorns and Roses series (A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruin, and A Court of Frost and Starlight) that have been released so far, I can definitely always count on her books to be insanely addictive!

That being said, my overall score for The Assassin’s Blade is 8 out of 10.

No comments :