Amazon Ad

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Book Review: King’s Cage (Book #3 in the Red Queen series) by Victoria Aveyard (Spoiler Review)


Right off the bat, I have to say that King’s Cage is definitely my favorite book in the Red Queen series so far for many, many, many reasons. That being said, I have to admit that going into reading King’s Cage, I was definitely feeling rather skeptical about how much I was going to enjoy this book. Thankfully, I’m thrilled to say that all of the skepticism that I had been feeling going into reading this book ultimately proved to be unfounded. Victoria Aveyard truly blew me away with the direction that she took the series in in this book. That being said, here are my thoughts on King’s Cage.

Prior to reading King’s Cage, one of the biggest concerns that I had about this book, was how much I would ultimately enjoy it if Mare was going to be Maven’s prisoner in this book. I have to admit that I was half-expecting the pacing of the book’s plot to feel painfully slow, and a big part of me was thinking that I would get really bored reading the book if Mare was Maven’s prisoner for a large portion of the book. In the end, the portion of book where Mare is Maven’s prisoner actually ended up being one of the best and most interesting aspects of this book, as far as I’m concerned. Plus, not only was I very surprised by the fact that Mare was freed from being Maven’s prisoner much earlier in the book than I had been expecting her to be, I was also incredibly surprised by the fact that Evangeline was the one who helped free Mare from Maven’s captivity. I had pretty much been assuming that Cal and the other members of the Scarlet Guard would be the ones who would help free Mare from Maven’s captivity.

Given all of the horrible things that Maven did “off screen” in Glass Sword, I was really left thinking that Maven had lost a lot of depth in that book, since the reader wasn’t privy to any of his thought process, and the reader isn’t given any in depth insight into his emotional state throughout the course of events that take place in that book. If Maven had had more of a presence in Glass Sword, I think it would have let the readers know whether or not Maven still has any sense of humanity, or any redeeming qualities at this point. Ultimately, after reading King’s Cage, I think the reason why Maven didn’t have more of a presence in Glass Sword was because Aveyard wanted to wait until this book to really give the reader some insight into why Maven is the way he is. I’m not sure I completely agree with Aveyard’s decision to save the “understanding Maven” element of the Red Queen series for this book since it’s the third book in the series; but I ultimately loved the writing for Maven in this book. Aveyard’s writing for Maven, and the backstory we’re given for him in this book is definitely one of the things that I loved the most about King’s Cage.


While I would ultimately say that King’s Cage is definitely my favorite book out of the first three books in the Red Queen series, the chapters that were written from Cameron’s point of view really had me second-guessing whether or not I truly felt that way about this book as I was reading it. That being said, I have to admit that when I was reading Cameron’s first P.O.V. chapter (Chapter Four), I didn’t have any memory of her being featured in Glass Sword, and a part of me thought that she was actually being introduced for the first time in this book. That being said, I honestly didn’t like Cameron very much at all. I thought that she was a very frustrating and unlikable character throughout the entire book. I know that her life, as well as the lives of pretty much all of the other characters in the Red Queen series, isn’t all rainbows, unicorns, and Skittles; but she really came across as quite possibly being the most bitter and most unpleasant character in the series so far. After all, even Mare was capable of finding things to be happy about and feel thankful for during the period of time that she was being held prisoner by Maven in this book; such as Maven giving her a piece of fabric that her sister, Gisa, had been working on sowing before her hand was broken in Red Queen for a birthday present.

While I do think that the Scarlet Guard kidnapping Cameron and not really giving her a choice of whether or not she actually wanted to join them was a pretty messed up thing for them to do; it still frustrated me that Cameron repeatedly expressed anger towards Mare for having her join the Scarlet Guard. After all, Maven had been finding and killing newbloods as a way to torment Mare in Glass Sword, so she’s probably safer with the Scarlet Guard than she would be if she didn’t join the Scarlet Guard; regardless of whether or not she actually joined them by choice. Honestly, I was really glad that Farley eventually called Cameron out on her behavior, and told her that she couldn’t keep lashing out at people, simply because she’s mad that the Scarlet Guard had her come with them. Personally, I think it’s pretty much never a good thing when a reader is rooting against a protagonist or a P.O.V. character in a book; and ultimately, I was constantly finding myself being annoyed by Cameron throughout the course of the entire book.

If Aveyard really wanted to have a member of the Scarlet Guard be one of the P.O.V. characters in this book, I think that she should have had either Farley or Cal be a P.O.V. character in King’s Cage. Considering the fact that Farley was pregnant with Shade’s baby, and later gives birth to a baby girl that she names Clara, and Shade was Mare’s brother; I think it would have been very interesting and fitting for Farley to be a P.OV. character in this book. Ultimately, I decided to not let my dislike of Cameron as a character in this book have a negative affect on my score for King’s Cage; because even though I’m a huge fan of ensemble stories, it’s very rare for me to like every character and every storyline in an ensemble story. Plus, even though I don’t like Cameron, I still thought that she did bring something interesting to the table in this book by being the reader’s point of access into the lives of the Scarlet Guard’s members.

I really enjoyed seeing Cal continue to work with the Scarlet Guard in this book, and I honestly wish that Aveyard had done a little bit more with that aspect of the book; mostly because of how much I enjoyed it. After reading the end of Cameron’s first P.O.V. chapter where she secretly follows Cal, and sees him going into a secret compartment that he apparently had in the Scarlet Guard’s base, a big part of me had been expecting Aveyard to do more with that particular moment in the book; and I was definitely waiting for there to be some kind of reveal regarding what specifically Cal had been sneaking off to do. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t really any kind of pay off in the plot to Cameron secretly following Cal at the beginning of the book. That being said, perhaps the reason Aveyard didn’t do more with that particular moment in the book is because she thought that it could possibly diminish the emotional impact that Cal’s betrayal at the end of the book would have on the reader. Regardless of why Aveyard chose to not have more build up to Cal betraying the others, I still think that she should have done a little bit more plot-wise to build up to Cal’s betrayal at the end of the book.

Having Evangeline be one of the P.O.V. characters in this book, or the Red Queen series in general, definitely proved to be something that I didn’t know I wanted or needed in my life until I read King’s Cage. Honestly, I’ve been so busy focusing on my desire to have Aveyard write material for the Red Queen series from Maven’s point of view that I hadn’t even considered the idea of Evangeline being a P.O.V. character at some point in the series. I’ve always thought that Evangeline served as a really interesting and well-written rival for Mare, but I honestly didn’t realize what a great character she truly is prior to reading this book. In addition to adding even more depth and complexity to Maven as a character, I thought that Aveyard added a great deal of complexity to Evangeline that I absolutely loved in this book as well.

One of the reasons why I loved King’s Cage more than I enjoyed Glass Sword, is because compared to Glass Sword, I thought that Aveyard did a much better job of balancing all of the action that takes place throughout the course of this book with some truly fantastic character interaction and character development for pretty much all of the characters in the series; especially when it comes to Maven and Evangeline. Plus, I thought that King’s Cage featured some really good world building, and I really enjoyed the fact that the plot of the book involved some really interesting political elements, with Maven marrying a woman named Iris; which was part of a treaty that he negotiated with the king of the Lakelands. Even though Iris wasn’t featured in King’s Cage very much, I really liked what we saw of her in this book, and I personally was very intrigued by her, so I’m really hoping that Iris will have a larger presence in War Storm.

Being bisexual myself, I have to say that I really love and appreciate the fact that Aveyard incorporated several LGBTQ characters into the Red Queen series by establishing in this book that Maven is bisexual, and Evangeline is gay. Personally, I felt like Aveyard did a really good job of having Maven being bisexual and Evangeline being gay actually add something to the plot of the book; in the case of both Maven and Evangeline, and not having that be something that she did simply for the sake of doing it. While I’ve always had VERY mixed feelings about romance within the YA genre, I really loved the whole backstory behind the relationship between Maven and Thomas that was given in this book. I also loved the romance between Evangeline and Elane, and the interactions between the two of them throughout the course of the book. That being said, I do think it would have been great if Aveyard had been able to find way to incorporate some flashbacks of Maven and Thomas’ relationship into King’s Cage; perhaps she could have done that if she had had Maven be one of the P.O.V. characters for the book. However, given everything we learned about Maven’s mother, Elara, using her powers to manipulate his mind throughout the course of his lifetime, I’m not sure having flashbacks of Maven and Thomas’ relationship in this book would have really made sense to the reader, or would have felt organic from a storytelling standpoint.

When it comes to my thoughts on the ending of the book, Aveyard once again definitely did an excellent job of leaving me wanting more, but thankfully, she left me wanting more in a good way. I was genuinely surprised by the reveal that Cal had been secretly working with his grandmother, and that she had made a deal on his behalf to rescue Mare. I’m really excited to see what happens next in War Storm after the whole thing involving Cal accepting his throne; prompting Mare and the rest of the Scarlet Guard to walk away from him, and basically let the Silvers destroy each other as they all battle for power.

All things considered; King’s Cage definitely proved to be a huge surprise for me in terms of how much I loved it. I really did go into reading this book feeling very skeptical about how much I was going to enjoy it, especially when it came to Mare being Maven’s prisoner. Honestly, I’m really surprised by how much I loved the portion of the book where Mare was Maven’s prisoner. Ultimately, I really love what Aveyard did with that aspect of the book’s plot, and it was definitely one of the things that I loved the most about King’s Cage. This book also featured some phenomenal character development for Maven, and it definitely gave him a great deal of depth and complexity throughout the course of the book; which is honestly something that I wasn’t very confident would even be possible for Maven after all of the truly horrible things that he did “off screen” in Glass Sword.

In addition to featuring some phenomenal character development for Maven, King’s Cage also really showcased some really great character development for Evangeline as well. Having Evangeline be a P.O.V. character at any point in the Red Queen series is definitely something that I didn’t know I wanted or needed in my life until I read this book. Having Evangeline be the one who helped free Mare from Maven’s captivity is something that I didn’t see coming at all, and I absolutely love that particular twist in the book’s plot.

Once again, I want to mention that I felt like Aveyard really did a great job of continuing to expand upon the worldbuilding aspect of the Red Queen series in this book. The part of the book that dealt with Maven marrying Iris as a part of an alliance that he made with the Lakelands, which is something that he blackmailed them into doing, was all very interesting me. Iris wasn’t featured in this book all that much, but I’m already very intrigued by her; so, I really hope that she’ll be featured in War Storm in a larger capacity.

Even though I do feel like Cameron did contribute something to the plot of King’s Cage, and the book as a whole by being the reader’s point of access into the lives of the members of the Scarlet Guard, Cameron as a character and her P.O.V. chapters are honestly the only genuine complaint that I have about this book. I just found Cameron to be a really frustrating and annoying character to the point that I actually considered taking points off of my score for the book, simply because of how much I dislike her. However, I ultimately decided not to do that, since while I’m a huge fan of ensemble stories, it’s very rare that I like every character, and every storyline in an ensemble story. Putting my complaints about Cameron aside, King’s Cage is definitely my favorite book in the Red Queen series so far, and I’m definitely very excited to read War Storm after reading this book.

That being said, my final score for King’s Cage is 10 out of 10.

No comments :